1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Stealing a riff... a question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jun 10, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Many times I hear a song that quotes another. Seems fairly standard practice in music, but sometimes I'm more interested in the quote than the song in which it's quoted... However, it seems rare that the quote is credited.

In one particular case, on the Great Expectations soundtrack, Scott Weiland has a song called "Your roof brings me down". The intro and the extro are a 30 second piano quote of a song that may be classical, or from another film score.

I realize the odds of someone having this CD or remembering it at this time aren't as good as had I asked when I first wanted to know way back when the CD came out, but every time I hear the track it frustrates me further.

Does anyone know which song is being quoted here?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

That song also appeared on Scott's solo "12 Bar Blues" album. The liner notes to that album make no mention of any sample. The song is copyrighted to Weiland and Victor Indrizzo (the drummer) with again, no mention of any other writer. Could it be that the piece just sounds familiar, without being exactly like an existing song? Upon my listening, it's a common tango theme. Many pieces within a specific genre sound alike. Hell, listen to a bunch of 12-bar blues (the musical style, not this album!) and see how many songs people can get out of the same three chords played in the same sequence!!

BTW, did you know that Sheryl Crow played accordion on that song?

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If I knew about Sheryl and her accordion, I had since forgotton. Certainly a good peice of trivia. She gets around.

It could very well be a "typical" quote as opposed to a direct quote, but it sounds sooooo familiar. I'd really love to have the entire peice if it's direct, or I might like to pick up something of that style if it's not.

One stylistic quote that I've yet to identify, but still seek is from the Star Trek : Insurrection theme music. Nothing in the liner notes on that one either for what style of music is being used.

4. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

In "Rock your socks off" by Tenacious D KG plays a very hard piece of Bach on the acoustic guitar.