Steak 'n Shake

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ikiru, Feb 1, 2002.

1. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I know that these chains are pretty popular in other parts of the country, but here in the DFW area, they just opened a Steak 'n Shake in an area thats on my way to work. Every time I try to visit on my lunch break, the wait has been at least 20min (too long for me). Whats the big deal with this place? Is it that it is good or the service is really slow?

Anyway, a couple friends and I decided to hit the place before the Lakers/Mavericks game this weekend (before the Super Bowl). Any suggestions on whats good?

-ikiru

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Isn't it just fast food? I heard the shakes were good though, but even then...

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    They've just been moving into SE Michigan in the last couple of years. There is one in my hometown, now. The shakes are good. The fries are good. But mostly, it always puts the Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers song "Roadrunner" in my head since they mention the franchise in it. [​IMG]
    Regards,

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I went to grad. school the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, and there is or was a Steak 'n Shake on the main drag near campus. I went there a few times. Good burgers, fries, and shakes. Definitely worth a stop over if you have one in your area.

7. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Are the burgers any better than, say, Chilis or TGIFridays?

-ikiru

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

9. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Where in DFW are they located? I don't see anything at all in Texas on their web site.

10. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

They opened a location outside of the Grapevine Mills Mall near the intersection of 635 and 121 just north of the airport. Its along the row of restaurants outside the mall next to Bennigans.

-ikiru

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

12. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

And we wonder why Heart disease and obesity is killing more people than cigarettes. Written as I am eating a nice juicy T-Bone[​IMG]

13. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

14. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Steak & Shake is above McDonalds/Burger King, but below Chilis and TGIF's, if that makes any sense to you.

It's.... different. A good cheap alternative to when you're sick of McD's. Also, they don't take credit cards. Company policy according to the guy at the cash register.

15. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

there's a steak n shake just a quarter mile up the road from my house and i refuse to ever eat there again. the food is total shit. the fries are thinner than an anorexic ethiopian and the burgers aren't worth squat either. maybe this steak n shake is the exception to the rule but my experience there has turned me off to them forever.

kevin t

16. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    They're common back home in IN -- I ate there a couple times while home for Xmas. Far better than McD's, etc. I think I'd rather get a burger there than at a Fridays, etc. Very skinny fries, but good flavor. The other sandwiches are good as well. The cheese fires are disappointing: fries with a side of cheese sauce.

Best of all: you can get a MALTED milk shake! (here in NY it's pretty hard to find a malted milk shake).

Cash only.

Open 24/7 I believe.

18. Jarod

Jarod Auditioning

When I was in college I lived up the street from, what I believe was the very first Steak & Shake in Bloomington, IL. Great food.

19. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    My dad got mad food poisoning from Steak & Shake a few weeks ago. Anyways, they have a decent Chicken Melt. That's about it. I'd rather get a burger from a real restaraunt than a fastfood joint.

20. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I went to one in Illinois once (I don't remember where).

It was really late at night but they were open for business and there were plenty of customers there. In spite of this, THEY DID NOT HAVE SHAKES! They were cleaning the machine or something. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. When you call yourself the Steak & Shake and there are no shakes available, then what else can you say about the place? Unfortunately, I can't remember anything else about my dinner because of this.