What's new

STB or Integrated HDTV - Which One? (1 Viewer)

lrtrees

Auditioning
I am curious as to what you feel is the better way to receive HD? The new Pioneers, from what I've seen and heard, are GREAT TV's but no integrated HD tuner. Is there a good reason to go this way or are there advantages to go the MITS or Hitachi direction with the integrated tuners? Are the Samsung T151 HDTV tuners any good?

Thanks,
Lon

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The STB just gives you a little more flexibility (especially if your HDTV accepts DVI input (for future STB connectivity, etc). The HDTV spec isn't quite all the way there yet, so currently it might make more sense to go STB and roll with the punches later.

The analogy is like when someone used to use receivers for the A/V setup, and then later goes into separates (amp, and preamp/processor unit). Get the HDTV now (amp), and then get the STB (pre-pro) now and when the new standards show up, you'll be ready.

The integrated HDTV tuners are nice and convenient, but offer no portability, and perhaps limited upgradability.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though there are a couple or so really good integrated HDTVs out there with excellent ATSC tuner/decoders built in, Pat's right in terms of flexibility. I'd much prefer an STB.

Chet Hayes

Agent
A whole lot depends on what you intend to receive. Sat? Cable? OTA?

For the first two, the tuner isn't needed and the Sat units all have tuner capability for OTA.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
What year is it in which ALL 36" and larger TVs have to come with a high-def tuner?

Jan

Miles M

Agent
I would disagree, but depending upon a users needs. A STB does offer a great degree of flexibility, but... What about 1394? I am not sure about the future of this connection, but only integrated sets have them. If you want a set which will have all necessary connections for the future, integrated is the way to go.
To me, the benefit of an integrated HDTV isn't necessarily the ability to receive OTA HD, but more for 'future-ability'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks