STB Activation question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Moreau, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

As a Christmas gift to myself, I've decided to buy an HDTV receiver to go with my new Toshiba 50HX81. I'm thinking that I'll probably just get the Toshiba unit, although I'm still open on that. However, I've noticed in several other threads that it appears that if I buy one of the STBs with a built-in DirectTV receiver that I'll have to pay an activation fee. I live on the fourth floor of a high rise apartment in the middle of Washington, DC, and have absolutely no way to utilize a satellite dish. Ergo, why should I have to pay an activation fee for a service that I can't use?

Can someone verify for me that this is true?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You don't have to activate the receiver unless it is tied to some type of new subscriber deal.

-Robert

3. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

I'm in the same boat. I'll be moving to Boston shortly and will probably not have access to the sky. At least not in a way to point a satellite dish. Do you have to receive a satellite signal inorder to run a stb with a built in DirectTv decoder???

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Chris: Not true. I use a Sony HD-100 ONLY for OTA HD reception and I do not have to activate anything. I do have the card inserted but am not connected to any dish nor to a phone line. BTW, you can also attach your cable TV to this receiver and use it for that too, and still, no activation is necessary.

5. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

John, that's certainly a relief. I've heard all these stories about DirectTV charging your credit card for $150.00 if you don't activate within a certain time.

Thanks for the information.

-Chris

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert