What's new

Staying Connected to the Internet. (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I often stream radio and music on the net and sometimes leave my computer unattended while it's recording to my stereo. I was wondering if anyone knows how to "trick" my computer into seeming active and remaining online. I know if I'm going to sites etc. it usually stays connected but I was wondering what if anything I could do when I'm away from it.

JustinW

Grip
Are you being disconnected by your ISP or your browser.

If by your browser (IE) try turning off idle timeout.

Win 95/98/NT/2000/XP:

Tools/Internet Options/Connection/Settings for connection/Advanced/untick disconnect if idle for "x" min

Win ME:

Start/Settings/Dial Up Networking/Right click connection/Properties/dialling tab/untick disconnect if idle for "x" min

If by your ISP which I doubt if your streaming then your best bet is to leave your mail program open and set it to check for mail every 5 or 10 mins or just shorter then your ISP disconnect time.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Or you could invest in an Internet connection that's designed to be used 24/7. Dial-up accounts aren't.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I assume that I've been disconnected by my ISP b/c sometimes I don't have a browser open, just a media player. But I'll try both suggestions, thanks.

When you said "If by your ISP which I doubt if your streaming" does this mean that streaming is seen by your ISP as being active as if you were browsing on the internet? I didn't know this. Thanks for your help, Justin.

JustinW

Grip
does this mean that streaming is seen by your ISP as being active as if you were browsing on the internet?
Yes, any data that you recieve or send is recorded by your ISP as dataflow and would stop them disconnecting you due to idle times. When a customers for the ISP I work for asks how to bypass the 20min idle timeout set at our end the option of leaving their mail program open and checking every 15min is the one I provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks