Stay away from Half.com for dvd's!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JamesOr, Jul 14, 2003.

1. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

I bought like 8 dvd's of half.com and the problems are already starting. I just got "Road to Perdition" and it's a pirated copy with cheap printed out covers. I bought "About a Boy" and was sent the full-screen version instead of widescreen. I contacted the seller for "About a Boy" and he apologized and is going to refund the dvd price as well as the shipping.

The worst part of this is that there is absolutely no way to contact half.com and tell them someone is selling pirated movies on their site. They have no contact addresses anywhere and no phone numbers either. So this guy can sell illegal copies as much as he wants and half.com won't do anything about it. I spent 15 minutes looking for a contact address on their site and found absolutely nothing. Unless you have very low standards for the dvd's you buy, I wouldn't touch half.com with a stick

2. Matthew_V

Matthew_V Stunt Coordinator

3. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

Awesome! I can't wait to call these jerks. I don't know if I'm more mad that I got sold a pirated dvd or that half.com makes a concerted effort to keep anyone from contacting them. I rarely ever make a stink about something but these people are going to get blasted

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since a judge found online auction sites not liable for what is sold there, it's been a free-for all

Why I don't buy stuff on Ebay I can't be 100% positive is legit

5. Pete L

Pete L Agent

Actually, Half.com invites reportage of listing policy violations: after you pull up a title, and you're on the main product listing page, pick any item on the page (for example, the seller who may still be selling boots of Road To Perdition) and click "More info..." to the right of the listing. On the next page, to the left, there's a link to report the violation.

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/inv.cgi...domain_id=1877

Edit to add: the above example was totally random. I have no reason to suspect that particular seller of selling pirated DVDs.

6. Pete L

Pete L Agent

I wouldn't neccesarily give up on buying DVDs from Half.com after one or two bad experiences. You just have to be cautious: check out the seller's feedback--I mean actually read through a page or two of their feedback profile. Also, this is just my practice but I never, ever buy anything from a Half.com seller which has not been described by the seller. In other words, if there are no product notes written by the seller, I will either a) pass it up or b) contact the seller and ask for more details. No seller reply--no sale. Don't be afraid to ask the seller a series of questions: is this widescreen?-is it the official U.S. studio release? etc.

I've sold over a thousand used books and DVDs between Half.com and Amazon, and I always take care to describe my items in detail, and I always enclose a packing slip that shows my original description, along with a handwritten note of thanks and a guarantee. Not everyone does this, of course, but many do, and as a buyer it's often just a matter of looking for the items where the seller has clearly taken some effort to describe it. That plus a good, solid positive feedback record will go a long way towards promoting a good Half.com (or eBay or Amazon) experience for you.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Pete L

Pete L Agent

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

You can always post a negative feedback saying that they sold you bootleg goods. Too many of these in a short period and they get booted from both half.com and eBay and they have to start over with a new identity.

Read the descriptions. My DVDs (all legit, btw) always say in the description that they are genuine R1 NTSC discs, and not bootlegs. I'd advise making sure you stick with sellers who give you this kind of assurance.