What's new

status on texas chainsaw massacre? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know if this is getting a re-release??
i heard there is a remake of the movie coming out around halloween. good time imo to remaster the current non-anamorphic transfer and cash in.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't the recent R2 UK special edition anamorphic?

I'd be suprised if you didn't see that pretty shortly in the US.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
From DVD File:

The 'Saw is family - 5:13pm

Speaking of ghoulish thrills, on October 14th Pioneer Entertainment will re-release the grand guignol classic that made vegetarianism mighty enticing - prepare yourself for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 30th Anniversary Edition. However, features look the same as the previous special edition Pioneer released a few years back - 1.66:1 non-anamorphic widescreen transfer, audio commentary by director Tobe Hooper, director of photography Daniel Pearl and actor Gunnar Hansen, deleted and alternate footage, a blooper reel, still gallery and trailers. Retail is $19.95.
I say, what's the point? If the specs are going to be exactly the same as the current SE disc (released in 1998 and still readily available) what are they re-releasing it for? Just so it can read "30th Anniversary" on the cover? Why not a new anamorphic transfer? Why not that supposedly outstanding documentary that's been floating around in other regions, "The Shocking Truth"? Besides, they're jumping the gun by a year anyway. The 30th Anniversary won't happen until next year, 2004.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm seeing it on the big screen on Aug.9th at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

Tobe Hooper will be on hand after the movie to answer questions. He's filming a real scary low budget independent thriller right now titled "Tool Box Murders." :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, what about a new high-def anamorphic transfer? The current DVD transfer was apparently pressed before the restoration was complete, as I recall.

The British region 2 was indeed re-released with the brilliant documentary, but the same non-anamorphic transfer.

It's not a bad transfer, but it could look better, even for a no-budget early 70s 16mm color guerilla movie.

This sounds like a wasted oppurtunity - just a lame cash-in. :frowning: :thumbsdown:

Gordy

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I own the Elite LD and the DVD. I love them both, but it is about friggen time that this title get a new transfer.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-disc SE with the "Family Portrait" documentary on it. I've held off on buying the current disc, but I might have to grab this new one if I can find it for a decent price.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
It's too bad they couldn't find a way to include this documentary from MTI Home Video:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait

A decent video documentary featuring the 'family' of Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface), Edwin Neal (the hitchhiker), Jim Siedow (the cook), John Dugan (Grandfather), while a bit long does feature several anecdotes that were later revealed in the Gunnar Hansen/Tobe Hooper DVD commentary.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
JeremySt:

I have the Elite LD too. Is there anything on the DVD that is not on the laser? Many thanks.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Yeah, what about a new high-def anamorphic transfer? The current DVD transfer was apparently pressed before the restoration was complete, as I recall.
Actually, as I recall, Pioneer just f---ed up. They accidentally used one of Elite's interim, work-product transfers instead of the completed one.

If they're not going to give us a new 16:9 transfer, then the least they could do is use an existing, Director approved one.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping my Elite LD, personally signed by Gunnar Hansen. :D

-Lyle J.P.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm yet to buy any of the versions, as I'm yet to find it for less than $40 on our shelves (I've only seen it as a USA import.)

I'll pick up what ever they release as long as it's priced right. Dn't get me wrong, I'd love a director approved enhanced transfer with 2 disks and the documentary, but if that' not going to happen, then I'll gladly get this re-release at a decent price.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Rob, I just checked both the LD and the DVD. They appear to have the exact same content. A quick A-B comparison shows me that the LD is in fact better sounding and the transfer is a little cleaner. The DVD is just a quick and dirty dupe of the LD it seems.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, seeing as this is likely the last opportunity for this film to get the deluxe treatment until the next big format, and it would appear Pioneer is just rehashing the same half baked DVD, I am thinking I will pass and just hunt on eBay for the Elite LD. My best friend Josh has the current DVD should I ever get the itch to watch it again.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The dvd is a duplicate of the LD feature-wise, but the transfer used is indeed the wrong one. This is a rare case where the LD transfer is actually preferable to the dvd one. I may pick this up in October since it's so cheap. I'd been holding out because the current edition is a tad expensive.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
BTW, the main problem with the Pioneer transfer is that it does not reflect the final approved color timing that the Elite Laserdisc did. Most people won't notice, but it does give the Elite laserdisc the edge unless Pioneer does something to fix the re-release.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks