What's new

Status of the folloowing films DVD/BLU (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'd like to know, if anyone has any information, on what the status is of the following films. Have they been EVER released on DVD? Are they comming to DVD/Blu Ray? Who has the rights? Any help would be great!

1) The Circus (1927)

2) The Crowd (1928)

3) The Patriot (1928) - I know this film is lost, but have they released the one Reel they found in Portugal? I know they released the trailer, I have it.

4) Disraeli (1929) - Archive title to be?

5) East Lynne (1930) - I know there is only one copy left and it is at UCLA (During my Movie Marathon, watching all 485 best picture nominees, I went to UCLA and viewed the film), but is anyone planning to release it?

7) The Front Page (1931) - What is the best version available? The one I have is TERRIBLE.

8) Skippy (1930) - I heard that this title was supposed to be released MOD by Universal; any status updates? Maybe for their 100th?

9) Trader Horn (1930) - A while ago I asked Warner Archives about this title and they stated they would like to release it but it needs remastering. Also, there is a documentary called "The Journey Back" which SHOULD be included on this title if it is ever released. Satus update?

10) Arrowsmith (1931) - Is it still available?

11) Lady for a Day (1933) - I heard it is being released again. Any bonus features?

12) Smilin' through (1932) - Achive title to be?

13) State Fair (1933)

14) The Barrets of Wimpole Street (1934)

15) Here comes the Navy - Archive title to be?

16) The House of Rothschild (1934)

17) Viva Villa! (1934) - Archive title to be?

18) The White Parade (1934) - I know there is only one copy left and it is at UCLA (During my Movie Marathon, watching all 485 best picture nominees in 365 days, I went to UCLA and viewed the film), and it is rough shape - anyone planning to release it/restore it?

19) The Broadway melody of 1936 (1935)

20) Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

21) Anthony Adverse (1936)

22) Dodsworth (1936)

23) The Story of Louis Pasteur (1937)

24) One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937)

25) Le Grande Illusion (1937)

27) Test Pilot (1938) - A while ago I asked Warner Archives about this title and they stated they would like to release it but it needs remastering. And status update?

28) Wurthering Heights (1939)

29) Hold Back the Dawn (1941)

30) One Foot in Heaven (1941)

31) The Pied Piper (1942)

32) Wake Island (1942)

33) Wilson (1944) - I read taht Zanuck was extremely upset that this biopic failed with the public and never released it again thereafter.It was on VHS, no? And no Fox Classic Collection treatment?

34) The Best Years of our lives (1946) - Special edition? Blu Ray?

35) The greatest Show on Earth (1952) - Special Edition? Blu Ray? Bonus Features?

36) Room at the Top (1959) - I know this one is on the Criterion Channel, but will they be releasing it soon?

37) Sons and Lovers (1960)

38) Dr. Doolittle (1968) - Blu Ray With Bonus features?

39) Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)

40) The Emmigrants (1971) - Archive title to be? or Criterion?

41) The Turning Point (1977) - Anchor BAy no longer holds the rights... Fox isn't releasing..?

42) Ordinary People (1980) - Blu Ray?

43) Tess (1980)

44) The Crying Game (1992) - Blu Ray?

45) Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - Blu Ray?

46) Secrets & Lies (1996) - Blu Ray?

47) Life is Beautiful - Blu Ray?

48) Lost in Translation - Blu Ray?

Any help would be great!!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wake Island is out on DVD. To check the status on your bluray requests. Go to Bluray.com and do a search. Life is Beautiful and Lost in Translation are both out on Bluray.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Ruggles of Red Gap is being released in the U.K. on DVD/Blu Ray in May by Masters of Cinema. It will be a restored version. I would not be surprised to see Criterion release it a little later. Anne of a Thousand Days was released several years ago in a double pac with Mary Queen of Scots is still available from online U.S. sellers.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
RUGGLES OF RED GAP is part of the Universal Vault Series (MODs), available via Amazon. The Eureka/MOC disc will almost certainly NOT be region-free.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Ruggles of Red Gap will most likely be Region b, their Blu Ray edition of Make Way For Tomorrow was.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The Circus - I'm assuming that you're talking about the Chaplin film. I have this on DVD, is it out of print now? http://www.amazon.com/The-Circus-Disc-Special-Edition/dp/B00017LVMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331301959&sr=1-1 Arrowsmith - I have this on DVD, is it out of print now? It appears to be available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=dodsworth&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=arrowsmith&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3Aarrowsmith Dodsworth - I have this on DVD, This appears to be out of print. Wake Island - I picked this up in a set of 4 movies from Best Buy for under $10 a few months ago. http://www.amazon.com/Four-Movie-Marathon-Classic-Collection-Island/dp/B004GSVXBW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331301872&sr=8-3 Life is Beautiful - I have seen the Blu-Ray for this on sale multiple time for under $10 http://www.amazon.com/Life-Beautiful-Blu-ray-Roberto-Benigni/dp/B0033AI48Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331302019&sr=1-2

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
No, there are different regions. Half as many as DVDs (three as opposed to six), but it's best to invest in a region-free player so you don't miss out on anything.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
There's no such thing as a region-free BluRay player, really. DVD uses a system of flags to identify regions. There are seven; regions 1 through 6 refer to specific geogrpahical areas, for example, region 1 is North America (the USA and Canada), r2 includes Europe, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas, the Middle East and so on. It includes two specials; r0 is "worldwide" and essentially means that a disc has no flag; region ALL is also worldwide, but works differently in that it has all flags set. r0 actually means no coding, although it is informally referred to as a code. Any DVD many be encoded to have any of the flags, or any combination of them, or none. A player may also be set this way, excluding ALL. Because of the way DVD region coding flags work, a DVD player set to r0 will play any disc from any region, no matter how the disc is coded. Such players are generally referred to as "region free". Other players may be modified so that they can be switched to any desired region, sometimes automatically, to match any disc as required. Such players may be referred to as "multi-region". Some studios had a brief flirtation with RCE (Region Coding Enhanced). These discs used the flag system in a different way, and required an exact match between player and disc codes; RCE discs would no accept a player with no code. Thus they would not work in a "region free" player but required a "multi-region" one to defeat them. However, the idea never really caught on, so they are rare. BluRay uses three regions - A, B and C. Again they refer to (larger) geographical areas. Unlike DVD region coding (which was a late addition to the DVD standard, originally intended to be a 'one world' system where any disc would play in any player, anywhere), BluRay coding was always part of the standard. It is thus more difficult to defeat. You will note that there is no equivalent to DVD's r0 for players. Thus players cannot be made region-free. It is possible to make players multi-region - ie they can be switched to any region desired. This is more difficult than for DVD and sometimes requires modification of the player. BD region coding is verified by software - not the drive itself - so an unlocked player may be locked again when it updates since BluRay is subject to these. The more expensive modified players sometimes contain multiple copies of the firmware that stores the operating system, to get around this problem. In essence they become multiple players in one box. Ironically enough, the studios have done an about-face and frequently their discs have no region coding, so they will play in any player anyway! Note that because BluRay players will also play DVD's, they support DVD region coding. This is still usually easy to unlock. Thus, it is important when buying a "region free" BluRay player to check the small print. It will often say "region free for DVD playback only"

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Nebiroth said:
There's no such thing as a region-free BluRay player, really . . . . . players cannot be made region-free. It is possible to make players multi-region - ie they can be switched to any region desired. This is more difficult than for DVD and sometimes requires modification of the player. BD region coding is verified by software - not the drive itself - so an unlocked player may be locked again when it updates since BluRay is subject to these. The more expensive modified players sometimes contain multiple copies of the firmware that stores the operating system, to get around this problem. In essence they become multiple players in one box.
Some Chinese manufactured Blu-ray players can be Region switched out-of-the-box without any modification.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
AFAIk it can't but I know little of PS3's! The regions for BluRay are: A: North, Central and South America, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Souteast Asia, Japan, Korea and Macau B: Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Southwest Asia C: China, Russia, all other Asian countries not in A or B

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks