What's new

Status of Marx Brothers on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jose

Auditioning
Hey folks,

Since this seems to be a very professional/knowledgeable forum, I was wondering if anyone knew the status of the Marx Brothers' films to DVD. I know the ones that were released are out-of-print and expensive($180 for the box set). Anyone have any idea who owns the rights to all their movies and when/if they will be released on DVD again or for the first time?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great question! Anyone?!?!

Talk about films in need of restoration. Any time I've seen them run on TV the condition of both the video AND (especially) the audio have been decrepit.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
These are titles that I would really love to see Criterion get a hold of and do them justice. It would be great to see them fully restored to the original running times and great transfer. Extra's would be nice as well as many a show or two of "You Bet Your Life" and some of the Marx Brother's home movies. Can't get enough of them.

I was lucky enought to pick up the films for only $8.99 a piece when their was that hub-bub between Universal and Image. I am so glad that I have them because they are some of the best American Comedy films throughout the history of cinema.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal holds the rights to:
Cocoanuts
Animal Crackers
Monkey Business
Horse Feathers
Duck Soup
Warner holds the rights to:
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
Room Service
At the Circus
Go West
Big Store, The
A Night in Casablanca
I think Artisan owns the rights to Get Happy
Regretably, I have heard nothing about any new releases of these films. A shame as they made some of the best comedies ever.

Jose

Auditioning
I picked up Horse Feathers for around $15 off EBay and was happy with it considering the quality of the film that is often aired on TV and whatnot. Still, I hope their films don't set and go to waste over the years and never make it to DVD again. TCM does show them frequently, which is a good thing. Duck Soup is probably my favorite comedy of all-time and of course seems to be the most sought-after/expensive of the out-of-print DVD. It definitely should be reissued on DVD for everyone who hasn't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks