1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stations/Networks who withheld certain episodes from the runs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MatthewA, May 24, 2015.

1. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    Stations don’t like that many multi-parters. The shows that play best in daily syndication are the ones that are self-contained, because most viewers don’t watch every day.

2. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    They actually did break up both The New Scooby-Doo Movies and the 1973 Super Friends hour-longs into two-part half-hours in the early 1980s.

The Twilight Zone hour-longs may have worked better being broken up into two-part half-hours, on stations that did not show back-to-back episodes.

~Ben

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. Message #83 of 109 Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm not surprised about The Family Channel censoring Bonanza either. My Mom has watched it in reruns for years, but I don't recall her noticing cuts or episode absences like that.

Yes, after 9/11, along with the episode *NSYNC was in because the 3rd act revolved around the manager of Bart's boy band (which was just a front for military recruitment) wanting to blow up MAD Magazine's NYC headquarters which they no longer occupy now that they've moved to the West Coast. That particular episode can stay out of circulation as far as I'm concerned; it was after the show should have ended, and even before the Twin Towers were destroyed in real life I thought it was a terrible episode and a sign of the show's decline which time has proven irreversible. At least the episode with Homer parking the car and the Michael Jackson episode were good episodes.

The last one going away I have mixed feelings about it. Innocent or guilty, why wait until after the HBO documentary to pull it if it's that big a deal? Probably because the backlash against Apu is the only publicity they've gotten lately. Jackson didn't just guest star on the show. He wrote "Do the Bartman" under an alias and used the show as a vehicle to promote his music video for "Black or White." Yet similar revelations about *NSYNC's management in a YouTube documentary called The Boy Band Con hasn't gotten their episode pulled again. The hypocrisy is astounding. This show has nothing left to offer anymore except memories of how good it used to be. Maybe Disney, who gave Jackson a whole theme park attraction that was still open when his Simpsons episode aired and came back when he died, will finally bury the show for good; if merchandising is how the show stays profitable rather than the actual show itself, then it's probably worth more to them dead than alive. MAD still hits one out of the park every now and then.

And that's my last "end The Simpsons" rant for awhile because that particular horse has been beaten to death already.

4. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    Nick at nite, then TVLand used to skip The Munsters episode, "Herman's Peace Offensive" probably because Herman and Eddie were bullied and they were trying to defend themselves.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    What was wrong with that, in TVLand's estimation?

6. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

At least at one time, the one-hour Twilight Zones were in a separate package, at least that's the impression I was under. In the early 1980s WGN in Chicago (which had run the series for years) made a huge deal about "premiering" them.

7. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    In both of those cases, they needed those episodes to get to a full syndication package. Twilight Zone didn’t. Stations prefer stand-alone episodes.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They probably thought it was encouraging violence.

bmasters9 likes this.
  9. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Matthew
    Here’s one for you - the still unaired Law and Order SVU episode “Unstoppable” from the 2016-17 season. Originally slated to air in October 2016 about a candidate for political office who cannot control himself. Ads for the episode were run, but NBC Comcast felt it MIGHT be too similar to a then presidential candidate so moved it to November 2016 after the election.

It has never aired to this day. Leave you to guess why. Producers and stars say ‘It just wasn’t very good.’, I have my own theories why it remains unseen.

MartinP. and Blimpoy06 like this.
  10. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Do we have an official source for that info? Now that the excellent "VIrtual Vikki's City of Domes" website is dead, it cannot be checked anymore.

For years, information has circulated that the final 3 episodes did air, but only on the East Coast, but unless someone has some off-air VHS tapes from 1978, it might be hard to prove. A few people suggested maybe they aired in Canada (so, people in Buffalo, NY and other places might have received OTA signals from there), other have suggested the airdates listed online might be the intended dates (rather than actual ones) due to printing deadlines, etc., but maybe they really did air (and a bunch of stations dropped the show/pre-empted it those last 3 weeks).

Even the DVD boxset hedges its bets in the synopsis on the back when it says three episodes not aired nationally, which seems to imply that they might have aired in some cities, just not coast-to-coast.

Sure would be nice to have a final, definitive word on that subject.

11. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    It's also pointless. Whenever one compares early episodes to middle episodes and later ones the later ones will usually come up short in quality. What one should do is compare current episodes to OTHER current comedies and the Simpsons is still better than most comedies on the air. If you don't like it, of course, you can simply watch something else.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  12. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Some series have different versions of the pilot episodes. Hogan's Heroes had one version that was shown in reruns until the late 1980s or early 1990s when another version showed up with the theme (and other music in the episode) played differently with some scenes extended or the segue from scene to scene different. The Munsters had a early version of the pilot with a very 1960s rock version of the opening theme and early version of Eddie's makeup where he looked almost normal. This version was shown in reruns in the 1970s but is impossible to see now (except on the DVDs I believe). The version shown now has the regular theme where all of Eddie's scenes were refilmed (except for one where he is being chased by a group of girls.) This is probably the one that CBS aired in 1964. The Bob Newhart Show always showed the CBS-aired version with Jerry as a dentist until the original version where Jerry is another psychologist popped up on WGN in the early 1990s.

mark-edk likes this.
  13. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Breaking Away had a very short first run; I think it had 8 or 9 episodes and only 5 or 6 aired before they yanked it. Years later Breaking Away was rerun on A&E and the pilot was substantially different: new scenes included, others trimmed away. An entirely new musical score (which didn't match the classically-derived music used in the movie and the other episodes), and an opening theme. In its network run the series never had an opening theme - the titles were shown over the first scene of the story, typically the four teens discussing something or other. Only the pilot was tampered with; the other episodes on A&E were spared.

14. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    CBS did take the hour-long I Love Lucys (Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour) and edited them into two-parters and syndicated them as a 26-episode series called We Love Lucy.

Universal has taken a different approach on some series. Episodes of The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo were edited down to half-hours as was The Sixth Sense when that series was added to the Night Gallery syndication package.

15. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    I'd like to know what your theories are.

I remember the "next week's" preview being aired and the next week it was not aired, I believe because they didn't want to air it against the World Series game with the Cubs/Indians, and then they decided not to because it was "too close to the election" and it would air later on. It definitely was a parallel to Trump and accusations against him, but that's what those shows do, so still not airing it seems really unwarranted. But you're right, it never has aired. And any explanation given for it not airing sounds feeble, If "it wasn't very good" is the reason, well, lots of episodes of things wouldn't air. I thought they might just include it on a dvd set or something, but they did not. If I recall, Gary Cole was the guest star in the episode.

By the way, The series The Good Fight subsequently did an episode entitled “Stoppable: Requiem for an Airdate.” A TV writer leaks an episode online of a series he wrote based on Trump after his network refuses to air it, and ends up getting sued by the network. (Incidentally, Gary Cole was also on The Good Fight and in that episode, but it had nothing to do with his character on the L&O:SVU episode.)

16. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Two episodes of Alice shot in 1977 - "The Reporter" and "The Bus" - never aired on the network (primetime, daytime or late night) and premiered in syndication in 1982, but with the Season 4 opening credits. Those along with "The Earthquake" and "The Pharmacist" were produced by Chris Hayward and are all dark and strange and out of sync with the series. Also, "Pilot" and "Alice Gets a Pass" never aired in the daytime reruns.

One episode of Laverne & Shirley - "Citizen Krane" - is not included in syndication.

17. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    There were actually four half-hour episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE that were omitted from the syndication run for a lot of years.

The afore-mentioned " The Encounter".

"Sounds And Silences" - a prior-written and submitted script called "The Sound Of Silence" that Serling forgot about caused a lawsuit around the time that the series was being compiled for syndication, so it was omitted.

"An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" - as it was only licensed for its CBS run, it couldn't legally be included in syndication.

"A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain" - excluded from the early syndication run for cloudy reasons.

18. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    Recently Airwolf ran on the El Ray Network, they did not air the last CBS produced episode Birds of Paradise. I think they also omitted Tracks, but I can't say for sure 100% on that one.

19. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

They used to show this in school on the old film projector. Can't remember which class or subject it was in, but I remember my teachers showing it at least twice. didn't know at the time it was a TZ episode. Anyone else remember seeing it at school???

Scott511 likes this.
  20. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    We were discussing I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched in another thread, and I also thought of Daniel Boone last night when I was watching it. We got the b&w episodes of I Dream of Jeannie, although I recall the syndicated opening being different than what is used on the DVD set. I never even knew that b&w episodes of Bewitched existed until I was well up in my teenage years. My first job was delivering pizzas for a now defunct pizza place. I delivered a pizza to a house with cable TV (we never had cable out here, but I still managed to catch tons of classics due to Dad having a rotor and amplifier system installed) and they were watching a b&w episode of Bewitched. I was a bit bewildered because I'd never saw anything but color on WPTY. The same thing with Daniel Boone-WPTY only showed the color episodes. I never knew b&w existed until a religious station on Directv started airing the series. I was DVR'ing every day and watching after work. Maybe it's just me, but I can't get into those as easily as the color episodes.