1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stations/Networks who withheld certain episodes from the runs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MatthewA, May 24, 2015.

1. Garysb

Garysb Producer

To cover Lucille Ball's maternity leave they aired both new episodes filmed prior to the pregnancy episodes and held and reruns with new introductions mentioning the new baby and that had the characters other than Lucy reminiscing about some past event. The interesting thing was that even the new episodes contained introductions showing that the episodes were flashbacks. In reruns sometimes these new episodes were shown in production order, prior to the pregnancy episodes, with the introductions deleted so the episodes were no longer flashbacks. I have read that back in the 50's the new scenes were added to the reruns without editing anything from the original episodes.

2. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    IIRC, as late as 1995 on Nick at Nite, they were airing episode #16 (Lucy Fakes An Illness, I believe was the title) with the pregnancy rerun intro.

I don't think I saw the original version until DVD in '04.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Question for someone who does not have "I Love Lucy" on DVD: Are these "alternate scenes" included as extras?

4. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    No, because I've already seen the synopsis of "Olive's Present" and it has nothing to do with the flu. Which is what I've been saying all along.

Olive gets her foot stuck in the toilet tank after trying to stand on the broken tank lid. In trying to extricate it, however, Stanley ends up breaking the whole tank. When Stanley tries to avoid paying the stiff price for a new toilet -- and plans to use the money earmarked for Olive's birthday present in the process -- she insists that he choose an orange toilet with a purple lid.

5. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Never heard that before. From what I read and heard before, the introductions were always a part of the episodes so nothing had to be edited out. They were placed on episodes filmed before Lucy had the baby to explain why we didn't see Lucy with the new baby and to give Lucille Ball a chance to recover from the birth. Perhaps the intros were deleted just to show more commercials.

6. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    The episode with the intro IS the original version. The intros were put on new episodes filmed before the birth but aired afterwards to acknowledge the birth and Lucy's absence and then show something that supposedly happened before the birth. The Golden Girls did this frequently in episodes such as the flashback to how they all met which was never shown until then.

7. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    No, episode 16 was shot in late 1951 and aired in early 1952 for season 1.

It was then rerun with a new intro during her pregnancy time off, which would've been aired a year later in February 1953.

Actually, after a little research, it looks like Lucy Fakes Illness was reran with the new flashback intro in April 1953. So, not quite for the pregnancy time, but still to pad out the season which would be shorter than usual due to her needed time off.

http://terrencemoss.blogspot.com/2017/07/when-i-love-lucy-invented-tv-rerun.html

8. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    The Olive's Present synopsis at the link you didn't look at begs to differ with you, which is why I offered it to you in the first place:

When Iris and Olive come down with the flu, it's up to Arthur to take care of them.

Correct or incorrect, I don't know, but it referenced what you were looking for. Sorry I tried to help.

9. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Sorry, I was a bit confused. I didn't realize CBS showed REPEATS of episodes with the pregnancy intros. I was referring to the five ORIGINAL episodes with the pregnancy intros.

10. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    No prob.

That was an interesting stretch. They interspersed those 5 original episodes in with 7 reruns with new post-baby intros to fill the three months between the birth and when the show came back to "current" episodes. And Lucy was off from November to March, so the reruns were needed. But, it was also 1953, so if you missed the episodes the first time they were new to you, so probably not many people complained about a rerun.

11. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    TV.com is not the most reliable source. If you look at their listings they have added a new episode called "Rick Widow"(?) which has an airdate of March 2019, several years after the death of Dom DeLuise. Since I have already posted a synopsis of the episode twice (the first time before your post) which mentions Olive's birthday present and since I've seen the flu episode and it has nothing to do with a present for anybody, I'll have to say TV.com is confused. Actually, if you read my post of May 23 you'll see I wrote that I got the (correct) synopsis from TV.com. I had copied it from that site sometime ago so I could identify the episodes Antenna TV showed. They must have changed the synopsis (incorrectly) between then and now. As I said, not the most reliable source.

12. Message #72 of 109 Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    When CBS showed M*A*S*H reruns on The CBS Late Movie from 1977-79 the only episode they skipped in the first four seasons was the "Hawkeye" episode where Alan Alda as Hawkeye gives a rambling monologue for a half hour.

13. Message #73 of 109 Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    USA skipped over about 25 episodes of Webster* when they had the rerun rights in the 1990s. WGN aired them subsequently about a year later.

*Now do you understand why I'm still mad at ABC after all these years for what they replaced it with? If the only crimes its successor on Friday night had committed had been crimes against comedy, that would be one thing.

14. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    It's fairly common for stations to skip the fourth season of TWILIGHT ZONE since those episodes require an hour of time, while all others are a half-hour.

It's also common for stations that run THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW to skip all of the color episodes.

And for years, stations skipped both the first and last seasons of MANNIX - the first being of a slightly different format - the last season just didn't make the syndication package.

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Why don't they just break up the hourlong Twilight Zone episodes into two-part half hours?

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    36 half-hours for those, IIRC.

17. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    The fifth season episode "The Encounter" from The Twilight Zone never aired because of the historical overtones.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734637/reference

Some southern stations censored parts of the outcome from The Outer Limits episode “The Architects of Fear".

The last three episodes of Logan's Run (the series) never aired during the original run because of the cancelation to come.

18. Message #78 of 109 Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Fox has always been accused of having low standards, but even they draw the line somewhere. Married with Children's infamous "I'll See You In Court" episode that was supposed to end season 3 (1988-1989) didn't actually air on Fox and went unseen (at least in the US) until syndication. The uncut version made its debut on DVD, but by that time Sony started replacing "Love and Marriage" so a truly complete original version (Columbia logo notwithstanding) didn't become available to own until the Mill Creek reissue.

Likewise, the last episode of the original run of Family Guy, "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein," didn't air on Fox until after it had already been on DVD and Cartoon Network Adult Swim. Yet joke after joke about child molestation was AOK up until I finally quit watching earlier this season. It was cute when it was in the context of that one Diff'rent Strokes episode as an example of Peter's (apparent) inability to distinguish fact from fiction, but every other week it ceases to be shocking and becomes tiresome.

19. mark27b

mark27b Stunt Coordinator

Mark Pledger
    One in reverse. Not shown on the Network but included in reruns.

In the UK, not sure about the USA, screenings of the original 'V - The Series' from 1984, not the recent remake, in the first TV tx omitted the third episode

1. Liberation Day
    2. Dreadnaught
    (3. Breakout)
    4. The Deception

Wikipedia says

"Note: This episode was rejected by NBC in the series' first run because of its violence. It was however shown during the reruns and was included in VHS and DVD releases. However, because of the switch in original order, this episode has continuity errors when watched in the original intended order. For example, while Ham meets Kyle for the first time in this episode, he then meets him again for the first time in the next episode. Robin meets up with the group during this episode, but is once again alone searching for help at the beginning of the next episode. There are also several other minor plot inconsistencies."

It's set on a Crivit - unseen underground shark-like aliens as with Graboids from the Tremors movies and tv that swallow you from underneath the ground - guarded prison.

We had a novel with them in year s before we saw the episode in repeats / DVD or knew there was an episode with them in in the days of 4 tv channels.

Attached Files:

ScottRE likes this.
  20. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    IIRC, the banned MWC episode first appeared on DVD in 2001 or 2002 on a Best Of release, before Sony started releasing season sets or replacing Love and Marriage.

MatthewA likes this.