What's new

Stations/Networks who withheld certain episodes from the runs (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Currently Antenna TV shows the one-season The Paul Lynde Show. They're going through the fourth run of the episodes including a New Year's marathon but there are seven episodes they have never shown. You would think they would want to show every episode of a series with only 26 episodes. I've emailed them about it but haven't received a response.

Another one-year show Antenna TV shows is Lotsa Luck! starring Dom DeLuise. All the episode lists I can find (IMDb, epguides, etc.) list the fist episode as "Olive's Present" concerning a toilet. I have not seen this on Antenna TV. Instead I see an episode (the only episode not given a title on Antenna TV's St. Patrick's Day marathon schedule) concerning the entire family getting the flu. I do not see this description on any episode list. The number of episodes shown by Antenna TV and included on lists is both 22 episodes.

Does anyone own the Lotsa Luck dvd and can verify if the "flu" episode is on it?

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I believe it was either Goodlife TV or the Decades channel that withheld showing the Adventures Of Superman episode, "The Human Bomb" after the increasing amount of human suicide bombings taking place worldwide.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does anyone own the Lotsa Luck dvd and can verify if the "flu" episode is on it?

I have since looked at the Amazon listing of the Lotsa Luck! DVD set and under special features the following appears:

Special features

•22 episodes on four discs
•Pilot episode

Although I don't see how the actual episodes can be considered a special feature of the DVD set of actual episodes.

One of the customer's reviews states:

The pilot episode, which is considered an "extra" is not the same quality as the other episodes.

So apparently there are 23 episodes including a possibly unaired pilot (the flu episode) although I didn't notice any difference in quality. Also the episode guides which usually list unaired pilots/episodes don't list a separate pilot episode.

None of which explains why Antenna TV doesn't show the actual premiere episode "Olive's Present."

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I don't know how fast the decision to suppress this episode happened, nor why do these "16mm Prints" are made in the first place. Were these things given to CBS Employees and such, or what? The copy I had came from an "Alternate Source" when I bought the complete series as a form of "Stall Insurance" (Six seasons had already been released at the time). Of course when the rest of the season was legitimately released, I got rid of the 'boots, EXCEPT the disks containing "Bored, She Hung Herself" and "Number One with a Bullet" episodes (Part Two of this episode is said to have music replacements). Instead these disks were spared.

From everything I've heard over the years, the incident took place before CBS even had a chance to air the rerun in mid-1970. Since the legal decision had already been made to never have the episode air again I don't see how a copy would have been made for syndication at all (even for other countries). One "benefit" of the 16mm copy is that James MacArthur has the correct credit "as Dan Williams" rather than the incorrect "as Danny" as seen in all the second through fourth-season episodes on the official DVD set.

Other episodes that have had music deletions or replacements include "Trouble in Mind" (Nancy Wilson singing the title song was kept but another song was cut), the tenth season's "The Friends of Joey Kalima" had a song cut and "The Big Aloha" had music cut or changed as did the eleventh season's "The Execution File."

Also on the DVD set the last episode of the second season "Kiss the Queen Goodbye" has the wrong recording of the theme song as does the seventh season's "Welcome to Our Branch Office."

"The Execution File" also has the wrong opening credits with Kam Fong as Chin Ho even though the actor left after the end of the previous season.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Me-TV has been airing 77 Sunset Strip, on its 4th rotation, but does not air the "Bullets for Santa" episode.
Maybe the title? I don't know, but they have never had any problem airing The Untouchables episode,
"The Night They Shot Santa Claus."

I happened to see that 77 Sunset Strip episode when Warners had it on their now defunct Warner Archive
streaming service.

In the "Bewitched" book about the TV series, it remarks that some stations would not air the 1970 6th Season episode
"Samantha's Secret is Discovered" because of pill taking and hallucinogenic drug references.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is one episode of Frasier that never shows in the Hallmark channel runs. I think if middle of the last season and has
a similar issue -- Martin accidentally eats some modified Brownies that Niles got from Roz to prove he wasn't a goody two shoes and has some interesting results
"High Holidays"

I went through the last season 3 or 4 times trying to check off this episoded and each time if was skipped over. I finally found it on YouTube or AmazonPrime or one of those services

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Family Guy's episode "Partial Terms of Endearment"

is also aired in the Netherlands, completely uncut.

as for shows that were witheld or removed from airing,
here's a few more:

- The Robonic Stooges (cartoon) ep. "Dimwits & Dinosaurs"
in reruns on Boomerang, this episode always seems to be missing.
also the reason why it's the only episode that's only available in bad quality.

- ALL episodes of the Little Rascals (cartoon)
these were only aired when they were still new,
they have never been re-run on television since the early 1980's.

- Cow & Chicken episodes "Buffalo Gals" & "No Smoking"
No Smoking was the original pilot before it was voted on to become it's own show, and Buffalo Gals just has lesbian sterotypes, which was reason enough to completely ban this episode from ever airing again

- ALF episode "Try To Remember"
not sure if this one counts, but the original airing of this episode was only shown once, on february 9th 1987.
a scene and some dialogue in the episode caused people to complain, and after the initial airing, they re-shot said part of the episode, including new dialogue.
reruns of this episode with the newly edited scenes,
aired as early as may 1987.

- Diff'rent Strokes "The Bicycle Man"
pretty much everybody knows this infamous episode,
i'm surprised nobody had mentioned it yet...
long story short, this 2 part episode featured a bicycle selling man, who turns out be be a pedophile, and tries to do funny business with Arnold and Dudley.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
When Mama's Family was on TBS from 1997-2006 and then it's brief run on CMT afterwards, neither stations aired the second season episode Aunt Gert Rides Again.

I had to wait to see this episode until it finally aired on ION TV which used to be PAX TV in 2008/2009. I unfortunately only saw part of the episode because the night it aired, a very bad thunderstorm came through and my area ended up losing power for the rest of that night.

I finally saw said episode when I got the complete series on DVD in 2015. Having watched this series since 2001 or 2002, it doesn't make any sense to have to wait about 14 years to finally be able to see this one lone episode.

Why would this one episode not be shown in syndication? Was it withheld due to some kind of problem with guest star Imogene Cocoa?

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I have the DVD of Lotsa Luck "Oliver's Present" (the flu episode) is on the set.
vlcsnap-2019-05-23-06h51m14s587.png

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I have the DVD of Lotsa Luck "Oliver's Present" (the flu episode) is on the set.
View attachment 58945

The problem here is "Olive's Present" is not the flu episode. TV.com gives the synopsis of "Olive's Present" as:

In the pilot episode, Olive gets her foot stuck in the toilet tank after trying to stand on the broken tank lid. In trying to extricate it, however, Stanley ends up breaking the whole tank. When Stanley tries to avoid paying the stiff price for a new toilet -- and plans to use the money earmarked for Olive's birthday present in the process -- she insists that he choose an orange toilet with a purple lid.

As far as I know, this episode has not been shown by Antenna TV. Also, it is apparently incorrectly called the pilot episode when the flu episode is the actual (apparently unaired by NBC) pilot. Many people and sources just assume the first broadcast episode is the pilot. This would also explain why the flu episode doesn't seem to have a title when Antenna TV shows it. The title might be something generic like "Lotsa Luck!" or "Pilot episode."

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Family Guy's episode "Partial Terms of Endearment" is also aired in the Netherlands, completely uncut.

- ALF episode "Try To Remember"
not sure if this one counts, but the original airing of this episode was only shown once, on february 9th 1987.
a scene and some dialogue in the episode caused people to complain, and after the initial airing, they re-shot said part of the episode, including new dialogue.
reruns of this episode with the newly edited scenes,
aired as early as may 1987.

When FOX first showed the "American Gigg-olo" episode of Family Guy on Oct. 16, 2016 (before Trump was elected), there was a lengthy scene of the infamous Access Hollywood bus ride with Peter Griffin on the bus "conversing" with the actual recording of Donald Trump and Billy Bush. When the episode was rerun on April 2, 2017, the bus scene was replaced by an unrelated "animal checkpoint" scene. Also, a scene in the Griffin house was added at the end of the episode perhaps to make up the time lost by deleting the bus scene.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Concerning cut scenes from episodes, usually whenever a TV episode is held over and broadcast after a cast change, a scene is added at the beginning to explain why previous cast members are back. Both Benson and Head of the Class did this. It is possible parts of the actual episodes are cut to make room for these "explanations." In some cases the added scene is kept for reruns and in others the scene is removed and the original episode is shown.

The first episode of Bewitched filmed with Dick Sargent concerned Endora making a duplicate Darrin while Samantha is pregnant. The producers decided they didn't want to introduce Dick Sargent in an episode that featured two Darrins (Samantha even states "I only want one Darrin!") so they held it over until later in the year (after child Adam was born) and a new scene was added to explain why Samantha was pregnant. This version is shown today in reruns and perhaps a scene was cut from the original that has never been seen to make room for the explanation.

When ABC broadcast two reruns of Bewitched from the first season in the second season scenes were added to show viewers these were repeats. Both versions of these episodes can be seen (I think it was Nick at Nite that showed the episodes with the added scenes) and because of this some sources incorrectly state that there are 254 episodes instead of the correct 252.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Here in Dallas/Fort Worth, back in the '70s and into the '80s, a local UHF station (a Christian Broadcasting Network affiliate) was airing three of my favorite series and withheld certain episodes from each:

STAR TREK -- a handful of episodes weren't included, including "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "And The Children Shall Lead," as these were deemed out of line with CBN beliefs.

THE BRADY BUNCH -- six episodes were withdrawn, including the three-part Hawaii adventure. Same reason.

FATHER KNOWS BEST -- multiple episodes weren't shown, including one where Margaret is convinced she has ESP and another where Kathy thinks she has magical powers.

Later, of course, I caught all of these episodes on other channels. Hard to believe anyone could be offended by anything in them, either then or now.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The "I do not see this description on any episode list" referred to the flu episode, not "Olive's Present."

Then you obviously didn't click the link I provided in which the synopsis says that is what the Olive's Present episode is about.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The problem here is "Olive's Present" is not the flu episode. TV.com gives the synopsis of "Olive's Present" as:
Whatever it's called, and wherever it's placed, the episode where everyone gets the flu is on the DVD set. I included a capture of Stanley taking his Mom's temperature as evidence. Here are some more.
vlcsnap-2019-05-23-18h04m26s853.png
vlcsnap-2019-05-23-18h04m45s515.png

Mark Y

Screenwriter
- The Robonic Stooges (cartoon) ep. "Dimwits & Dinosaurs"
in reruns on Boomerang, this episode always seems to be missing.
also the reason why it's the only episode that's only available in bad quality.

Interesting! Back around 2010-2011 when I first got the Boomerang channel, i was DVR-ing all kinds of shows, many of which I wasn't really interested in, just for the short filler cartoons they'd run afterwards. I caught the tail end of that, after they had quit showing "Ruff & Reddy" and Wally Gator and associated characters, but before they pretty much dumped ALL the vintage Hanna-Barbera stuff from the 1960s and 1970s.

Anyway, I got 31 Robonic Stooges cartoons, but one of them NEVER seemed to come around, and guess which one it was.

They also used to throw in ONE of the Filmation Droopy cartoons from the 1980 "Tom & Jerry Comedy Show," but maddeningly, only the same one over and over. Later, they added a small handful of Tom & Jerry Filmation shorts to their regular Tom & Jerry showcase, but only a few.

One time I caught a Space Ghost cartoon from the "Space Stars" series in the middle of the night, and it had some weird sound effects and a laugh track added to it!

Frustratingly, I was able to get about 90% of the cartoons from the Huck, Yogi and Quick Draw shows (which I didn't already have from USA), but a few of Pixie & Dixie and Snooper & Blabber just flat out NEVER came around.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The Three Stooges shorts were a hot mess when WFLD-Channel 32 aired them in Chicago. At one point during the late 1970s, there were as many as 24 (!) shorts (out of 190) the station wouldn't air for content reasons (ethnic/racial stuff, Nazi caricatures, or "violence").

In the early 1980s, when the Stooges mostly aired in late night, the station released about a dozen of these formerly forbidden shorts. Later (according to an employee in the film department) they had two restricted lists: a "black list" (shorts they wouldn't air at all) and a "gray list" (relegated to late-night showing only).

Two formerly "okay" shorts were added to the "black list" because of complaints from viewers -- if I remember right it was one phone call for each: "Cactus Makes Perfect" ("violence") and "Pardon My Scotch" (liquor).

Off the top of my head (this was many years ago) the "late-night only" list included "A Bird In The Head," "3 Dumb Clucks," "Rockin' Thru The Rockies," "If A Body Meets A Body," "False Alarms" and "Idiots Deluxe." Now what the heck was wrong with them?

In 1991 the Chicago TV rights to the Stooges moved over to WPWR-Channel 50. They showed all 190 uncut, and there wasn't rioting in the streets. Well, not over the Stooges, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks