1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Stations/Networks who withheld certain episodes from the runs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MatthewA, May 24, 2015.

1. youworkmen

youworkmen Supporting Actor

david
    When Sky tv began its UK dedicated service in 1989 they were still showing 16mm copies of Lost In Space , The Bionic Woman , The Gemini Man and most other filmed shows. This was presumably down to budget.

It was rare for any mainstream channel to air 16mm copies of a series made on 35mm so repeats of Lost In Space on C4 and The Invisible Man on BBC2 looked much better on 35mm.

2. mannix

mannix Stunt Coordinator

tim
    metv did not run certain episodes of season 4 and the whole fifth season of cannon

cozi tv did not certain episodes of marcus welby md

3. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

When A&E reran The Sopranos, the episodes were edited for language and for nudity. But I don't believe they ever aired the last few episodes in the series. That wasn't for content, though. I think it was because the ratings weren't what they expected when they paid all that cash for them. I know I was PO'd at the network when I had to spend actual money and rent the last few episodes from a video store (they had those things back then).

4. johnnysevenonemanarmy

johnnysevenonemanarmy Auditioning

ron
    SINCE "BORED SHE HUNG HERSELF" WAS NOT PART OF THE BIG SET RELEASED A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK,WOULDN'T IT HAVE
    BEEN MORE TRUTH-IN-ADVERTISING TO SAY:"HAWAII FIVE-O:THE (IN)COMPLETE SERIES"?

Ron1973 and Vahan_Nisanain like this.
  5. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I've been noticing as I work my way through Hee Haw episodes of S8 on RFD-TV that several episodes were skipped; it isn't the first time it's happened either.

6. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    When ABC showed Happy Days reruns in the mornings back in the day when there were lots of game shows on, they routinely skipped the episode concerning the game-show scandals of the 1950s. Similarly, when CBS aired All in the Family reruns in the afternoon not long after Watergate, they never showed the second episode "Writing the President," which dealt with Archie's support of President Nixon.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (This isn't quite on topic, but I couldn't find another appropriate thread).

I remember back in mid-2007, there were stories that Mandy Patinkin walked away from Criminal Minds before any season 3 episodes were filmed. When season 3 was first aired in September 2007, it was puzzling that the first episode featured Patinkin's Jason Gideon character.

https://www.vulture.com/2007/09/to_watch_tonight_mandy_patinki.html

It was only later that it was disclosed that this first season 3 episode was actually an old season 2 episode which was pulled back in April 2007, due to the episode being similar to the then-current Virginia Tech shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_coverage_of_the_Virginia_Tech_shooting#Impact_in_entertainment

The actual aired season 3 first episode had some scenes added, which addressed Jason Gideon leaving the BAU.

So far I haven't seen what the original pulled season 2 episode is actually suppose to looked like. Though I suspect it would probably be the aired season 3 episode, without the Gideon syonara specific scenes.

8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Since this thread appeared, we've had a notable new entrant...

The Simpsons S3E1, Stark Raving Dad, was pulled by The Simpsons producers after they learned 25 years after everyone else about the allegations against Michael Jackson.

9. Message #29 of 42 May 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I don't know if this counts, but it seems in recent years, if an actor gets in trouble with the law or does something inappropriate, the network/station airing his/her show, will remove the whole show from the schedule because the sponsors don't want to be associated with them.. For example, The Cosby Show, and 7th Heaven reruns were removed by the station airing them when Bill Cosby and Stephen Collins were both exposed for inappropriate sexual conduct. In a different case, another station removed The Dukes of Hazzard reruns because of the confederate flag controversy.

10. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I tracked down the print on this episode. The woman who owned it had gotten it transferred for a hefty price at a local camera store which obviously hadn't the slightest idea how to transfer 16mm film and that it has to go through a telecine. They obvious just aimed a video camera and shot it off a wall. Horrendous. Anyone, this woman had lent it to another H50 fan who absconded with the print and never gave it back. I tracked her down and she was a piece of work. Anyway, eventually, I was able to get her to send it to me and I did a decent transfer, although by this point the color was pretty shot. Funny, but she asked me to give her a bunch of DVD copies, which I'm sure she went out and sold. Anyway, terrible episode but needed for completeness.

Blimpoy06 and Darby67 like this.
  11. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

CBN would routinely skip episodes for the most benign reasons. There were 2 episodes of Wendy and Me they wouldn't run for instance and I'm sure other series suffered the same fate.

Wasn't The Simpsons episode where he parks at the WTC removed from syndication?

There was a Law and Order episode with rioting at the Puerto Rican Day parade which was shelved due to protests.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    An episode of The Joey Bishop Show with John F. Kennedy impressionist Vaughn Meader was filmed 11/15/63, a week before Kennedy's assassination. Naturally, the episode the pulled from the schedule and was re-scheduled for February 1964. NBC never did show it and sources say the episode was destroyed. Today if the episode is mentioned at all it is simply referred to as "Episode #85" although some give the title as "Joey Goes to Washington."

An episode of Family Guy entitled "Partial Terms of Endearment" from the 8th production season concerning abortion has never been broadcast in the USA (it would have been broadcast in 2010), but it has been shown in the UK (2010) and Australia (2011) and is available on a standalone DVD. An earlier second-season episode entitled "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein," which would have been broadcast in 2000, wasn't shown due to a song "I Need a Jew" with the line "...even though they killed my Lord." It was released on DVD and shown by Cartoon Network's Adult Swim in 2003, and FOX finally broadcast it on 12/10/2004 after the show's first cancellation (with the revised line "I don't think they killed my Lord").

NBC refused to air an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents in 1962 titled "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" because of its "gruesome" ending. It is shown in reruns.

Of course, the most extreme case is the entire series The Amos 'n' Andy Show was removed from syndication by owner CBS in 1966 due to complaints from the NAACP and others.

Darby67 likes this.
  13. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Don't forget Roseanne.

Ron Lee Green likes this.
  14. Message #34 of 42 May 16, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Currently Antenna TV shows the one-season The Paul Lynde Show. They're going through the fourth run of the episodes including a New Year's marathon but there are seven episodes they have never shown. You would think they would want to show every episode of a series with only 26 episodes. I've emailed them about it but haven't received a response.

Another one-year show Antenna TV shows is Lotsa Luck! starring Dom DeLuise. All the episode lists I can find (IMDb, epguides, etc.) list the fist episode as "Olive's Present" concerning a toilet. I have not seen this on Antenna TV. Instead I see an episode (the only episode not given a title on Antenna TV's St. Patrick's Day marathon schedule) concerning the entire family getting the flu. I do not see this description on any episode list. The number of episodes shown by Antenna TV and included on lists is both 22 episodes.

15. Message #35 of 42 May 16, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Yes, I forget the exact episode titles at the moment, but CBN also skipped several episodes of The Farmer's Daughter. One dealt with astrology and horoscopes--a big no-no for the super-religious channel.

16. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
  17. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Famously, CBS did not air the "Living In Harmony" episode of THE PRISONER. The story is that they claimed is featured mind-altering drugs too prominently, but the other side of the story is that it featured someone who refused to use a gun. CBS allegedly viewed this as anti-Vietnam-war propaganda.

Darby67 likes this.
  18. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

It was, but has been added back in recent years (though I think I read that the gag with the two guys in the opposing towers insulting each other was cut). As per Wikipedia: One previously such edited item is a scene of two men arguing across Tower 1 and Tower 2, where a man from Tower 2 claims, "They stick all the jerks in Tower One".

19. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

METV always skipped the colorized episode of Gilligan's Island called "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk", as it was not provided to them with the rest of the colorized package.

20. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    I worked briefly for a TV station 1980-81 and they only had 16mm projectors and they had requested "standby" 16mm prints that came from the network (AFAIK).

The station had purchased a collection of The Little Rascals from two brothers and they were 16mm.

During my tours of the local TV stations AFIAK only one station had 35mm projectors. The rest all had 16mm as that was the format the "Film at..." And I'm sure 35mm telecine projectors (they would hold every other frame as NTSC is 30 frames per second and sound films are 24 frames per second) The syndication prints the stations were running were 16mm for TV shows.

There would have been a 35mm and a 16mm print struck originally for the network. For airing they would have been run simultaneous should the 35mm print break, they would immediately switch to the 16mm (probably re-thread the 35mm to the next break and then switch to the 35mm possibly look for an easy to spot place to start the 35mm back.

Depending if a TV station just received the prints for the entire run- or if they were on a syndication run ... ()where they send a week's worth of prints and then forward on to the next station). I suspect the syndicator wouldn't want the prints back and may have told the last station to "destroy" the prints. I suspect the latter is probably where a lot of the 16mm prints came from. ...