What's new

Station Logos (1 Viewer)

Real Name
stephenrabinowitz
Getting my Mitsubishi WS55411 this weekend, there is a warning given with it about watching stationary objects. What about those annoying station logos usually on the bottom right of the screen, will these cause a burn in as they are on during the whole show & if I watch that one channel a lot.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hi Stephen,
Depending on your viewing habits, you should be fine. I just got a 55311 2 weeks ago, and it's a great unit. HIGHLY tweakable and very user friendly. I will warn you, like you've seen on this forum a million times, to turn down contrast to under 50% and I would turn down sharpness (no relation to burn-in) to about that level also. Calibrate with AVIA first if you need to, but definitely after 100 hours or so. The picture is definitely different after that CRT break in period. At first, I thought it was a little duller, but then I realized that it was much smoother/filmlike than before and I had to recalibrate with AVIA again to get closer to where it should be for my preferences. So far, I've had no problem with burn-in from logos or anything else. I will add, though, that I watch all 4:3 television in Stretch mode, and so does my wife, so that helps a little. Number one, though, is to get the tv off of torch mode, turn down the contrast FIRST thing, disable VSM, and turn off Auto Color Correction. Those first steps will get you going in the right direction.

Be sure to come back and let us know what you think!!

Matt

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Responsibly, I should add that I would avoid the less transparent logos for long periods of time. The National Geographic Channel doesn't even exist to me anymore. Cartoon Network viewing for my family has been cut down more than 75%. Someday they will get the clue. Do a search for "Bugs" in this forum and you'll get some more (better) information.

Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got the WS-55411 yesterday. I turned down the brightness and contrast to about 35%, sharpness to 0%, turned off the SVM and turned some display setting (I don't remember the name) to low which corresponds to 6500K. The "red-push" is definitely there so I turned down the red and magenta to about 25%. That helps on the regular inputs but not the component so I guess I'll try the attenuator route. Does anyone have the plans for a home-made one? They have them in the pay section over at Home Theater Spot but I don't go there often enough to justify subscribing.

-Robert

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Robert,
The guy who makes the attenuators over there, Yeringto, is on this forum as well. Do a search and send him an email. I've heard great things about his work. Keep us updated on your set and how you like it!

Matt

Aristides

Agent
Hello,

I just bought the WS55311 and was also worried about the station logos burning in. The manual DOES mention that it could be a problem, but I'm guessing it's if that is the only channel you watch and you watch it all the time.

I'm relatively new to the Video side of home theater and new to the forum.

This post and the responses so far have already answered questions I was going to ask! Thanks!

Peace,
Aristides

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt,
I'm a DIY guy. I'd rather build my own. Thanks for the name though.

The picture is great. My wife even commented on it and that means it must be good. I still haven't had time for a VE calibration and should make it even better.

Aristides,
I liked the price of the 55311 but I want to build an entertainment center around my 411 with only the screen showing and the 411 has that type of cabinet. Don't worry about the burn in if you calibrate it correctly and vary your viewing habits.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks