Static

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jimmy T, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Auditioning

I have a pair of N-28s with a N-Center. My reciever is a pioneer VSX-412. When nothing is playing a static noise comes from the 2 front speakers. Is something wrong with my speakers or receiver?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Quote:
    . When nothing is playing a static noise comes from the 2 front speakers. Is something wrong with my speakers or receiver?

Something is not right. Speakers are probably NOT at fault.

Is the volume of the receiver up or down when you hear the static?

If it's up it could be the source feeding the receiver or the receiver itself. If it is down then it is more likely the receiver.

You might have a bad case of power line noise (or ingress from an RF source), but if so it does not explain why no static from your center channel.

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

It's normal to hear static if you put your ear near the speaker.

4. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Auditioning

The two mains static noise is noticeble from about foot away. There is slight static from the center speaker with my ear right up to it, but very tiny.
    Thanks

5. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Auditioning

The noise is still there even with the volume down

6. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

You may have faulty or poor quality audio cables going from your soure to the reciever that are picking up interference. Try disconnecting all the audio cables and hooking one set up at a time.

Do you have any other electronics or appliances in the room other than your theater equipment? They may be causing some power disturbances (i have no idea what the term is called). For example, I have a 2.4GHz cordless phone that can't be plugged in the same outlet, it causes a "stitic clicking" noise in my speakers.

7. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Auditioning

The noise is the same with a DVD source and cable TV.

I have a cordless phone in the room but not in the same outlet. Theres also a halogen lamp.

Would the way I hoopup my wire to the speaker have anything to do with this. Its just bare wire hooked up to the binding post without any plugs.

8. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Quote:
    I have a cordless phone in the room but not in the same outlet. Theres also a halogen lamp.
    Disconect them both and see if that eliminates your static.

Quote:
    Would the way I hoopup my wire to the speaker have anything to do with this. Its just bare wire hooked up to the binding post without any plugs.
    Absolutely not. Connectors just make it easy to do changes to the installation as well as aesthetic considerations. Bare wire (as long as it is clean and unoxidized) performs just as well.

9. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Auditioning

The halogen lamp is causing the static. It was gone when the lamp was disconnected.
    Thanks