Static sound in speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeremyR, Mar 9, 2004.

1. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I've noticed, mainly with my center channel, a very slight static sound coming out of what seems to be the tweeter, when I'm watching DVD's. I have a Kenwood VR-507 "rated" at 100 WPC which is of course laughable because I'm sure it's not running near that with all channels driven. I have a Paradigm cc-170. The receiver volume goes from -100 to 0.. and my normal volume for watching movies is somewhere around -30 to -35. I notice the static sound only at the beginning of dialogue and usually when it's things like S, and T at the beginning of word, though occasionally on loud dialogue it will continue through part of the sentence. It's also normally when things are shouted. I noticed it more with "School of Rock" this weekend, but also noted it occasionally with "LOTR:TTT SE" in DTS last night. It's not bad, and it's not something that really bothers me except that I'm now listening for it and it's concerning me. I'm sure nobody else notices it because I'm being so particular and listening so closely. Is this something to be concerned with? Or is it a function of my equipment... namely my 2 year old Kenwood receiver, and 3 year old Sony DVD player.

2. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Well, I played some CD's last night, and played my XBOX at relatively loud levels last night, and I didn't notice the same static sound. I'm thinking it must be something else, or have been something else. Otherwise, at those volume levels, I should hear the static across the board.

3. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

Your problem is one i've experienced, and it seems to be a common one with a common theory attached to it: it's the DVD itself that is the problem. Supposedly if the master recording levels aren't set right, there is distortion on the source material as it is recorded. Run a search for "crackling" or "dialogue distortion" and you'll find plenty on this.

4. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I kind of considered that, but I must admit I was a bit surprised to have that problem on LOTR:TTT Spec Ed which is from New Line which generally does a fabulous job. That was when I particularly noticed it, though again it was only in brief spurts, and only when dialogue began. But I put in Freddy vs Jason last night, another New Line Platinum release, and didn't have a bit of problem with it. I think once I let my paranoia with it pass, I won't even notice it. I think my mind might even be playing tricks with me. You know when you convince yourself you're hearing something, and you're really not [​IMG]