Static sound generated by my amp.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Jun 24, 2004.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have an NAD 216THX bridged to power a passive sub. When I turn it on for the first few minutes it generates a very noticable static hissing sound through the speaker. It sounds something like a radio that is not on a station. After a few minutes it will go away and it is silent. Got any ideas of what this might be?

2. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have an NAD 216THX bridged to power a passive sub. When I turn it on for the first few minutes it generates a very noticable static hissing sound through the speaker. It sounds something like a radio that is not on a station. After a few minutes it will go away and it is silent. Got any ideas of what this might be?

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I guess you need to try and figure out the source of the noise. I would try to disconnect the preamp input to that amp and power it up to see if just the amp connected to the speaker exhibits the same problem. If it doesn't then you might have an issue with your preamp or interference being picked up by poorly shielded cables (my Sony TAE9000 pops on DTS soundtracks and I know it's common problem that can be fixed by replacing some ICs in the preamp). Try that and get back to us for some more suggestions on what to try.

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I guess you need to try and figure out the source of the noise. I would try to disconnect the preamp input to that amp and power it up to see if just the amp connected to the speaker exhibits the same problem. If it doesn't then you might have an issue with your preamp or interference being picked up by poorly shielded cables (my Sony TAE9000 pops on DTS soundtracks and I know it's common problem that can be fixed by replacing some ICs in the preamp). Try that and get back to us for some more suggestions on what to try.

5. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure it is coming from the amp. I can turn the amp on without anything else being on and it will make the noise. Since it finally does stop after a few minutes I wonder if it is a capacitor noise and the capacitors are going out. After the amp is warmed up it will stop. Does that sound like a capacitor going bad?

6. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure it is coming from the amp. I can turn the amp on without anything else being on and it will make the noise. Since it finally does stop after a few minutes I wonder if it is a capacitor noise and the capacitors are going out. After the amp is warmed up it will stop. Does that sound like a capacitor going bad?