What's new

Static sound from my left channel (1 Viewer)

Pete Gregar

Auditioning
When there isn't much sound from the CD player and I turn the volume on my receiver up and down I can hear static from the left speaker.

I flipped the speaker connections around to make sure it wasn't my speaker or wiring.
It is coming from the receiver.

Is this normal for a receiver as it gets used? Should I get it cleaned? I have to check, but I think it is still under warranty.

Onkyo TX-8511

Tom.le

Agent
Yeah, it's common for any old dial knob to get dirty. What you could use is some potentiometer cleaner. An electronic store should have it. If you get some, take the knob off and spray a bit into the pot itself and dial it around a bit, and the problem should be fixed without sending it in and wasting money.
Check out this link to read up on it:
http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,...8+4654,00.html
Tom

Alex F.

Second Unit
If it is simply a dirty potentiometer, sometimes you can wipe the contacts clean by rapidly turning the knob back and forth several times (with the power off or speaker selector switched off).

If this doesn't work, a contact cleaner/solvent (often called "tuner cleaner spray") will be required, as stated above. The best kind of cleaner doesn't contain any lubricant (a lubricant can eventually gum up the contacts).

Good luck!

Pete Gregar

Auditioning
If the knob was at fault wouldn't it be heard in both left and right speakers?

it is only from the left output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks