static sound from left surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZachW, Jan 28, 2003.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I just finished calibrating everything, and when I was playing the test tones from Avia, I noticed a static, crackling sound. It's really noticable with the tes tone, but I haven't noticed it yet with any movies. Anybody have any ideas of what it might be? thanks

2. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Zach

Please state what your system is -- amp/receiver, speakers, dvd player (how connected, optical, coax, analog), etc

... Altan

3. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I have a:
    Denon 1803
    JBL N24s as surrounds
    JBL N28's as mains
    JBL N-center
    SVS 20-39 PCI
    Sony 655 dvd player
    The dvd player is connected by a coaxial and s-video cable. I have sound king 12 gauge wire to all speakers. The receiver is connected to the tv by s video. and I think that's it, thanks

4. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any ideas of what might be causing the sound? is it distortion? And how do I fix it? thanks

5. Douglas Kinne

Douglas Kinne Auditioning

Zach, try flipping the surround outputs l.to r. or whatever. If the sound travels to the new speaker, it is an amp issue. If the buzzin sound still comes from the same speaker, then the speaker is the problem.

At what db level did you "calibrate" your setup. The test tones, when REALLY loud, can fry some speakers.

Good luck,

6. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Zach,

I have a Denon 3802 and recently had a very similar thing happen to my right side surround speaker. At first I thought the speaker may be blown, but after hooking up another one and hearing the same crackling noise that was ruled out. I took it to the Denon Authorized repair center amd they found that the ac-dc converter was bad. Not sure why the crackling noise would only show up in the one channel, hopefully this takes care of it!

Aaron