static shock when touching amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericLee, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. ericLee

    ericLee Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2002
    Messages:
    135
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I've had the amp for almost 1 and 1/2 years and I've noticed that i've been getting shocked, literialy, by it. It usualy happenes after i listen and then get up to turn it off. I press the button and I get shocked. I don't know if it's just static or something else. But I fell that this shock is a little more painful then just static. Sometimes when i go to press the button on the amp I can actualy see the blue/white electric on the tip of my finger. Maybe it's related to the cold weather? I can usualy avoid getting shocked if i bang my hand on the metal rack then touch the amp.
     
  2. Joseph Shaw

    Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    From the last part of your post, it sounds like you're picking up static before touching the amp and then discharging when you touch it. If you can touch a metal rack and then touch the amp without shock then it doesn't sound like the amp and a lot like normal static electricity. Static electricity is generally worse in winter becuase of the drop in humidity in the air. It's also not uncommon to see the arc from a static discharge, especially in low light rooms.
     
  3. Mike_Skeway

    Mike_Skeway Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2004
    Messages:
    265
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Sounds like static to me. Ground yourself to your rack first. [​IMG]
     
  4. MikeTz

    MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I have the same problem in the winter when the humidity is very low. I bought a warm mist humidifier made by Slant Fin, used it in my theater when the humidity level was low, and presto, problem solved.

    MT
     
  5. ericLee

    ericLee Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2002
    Messages:
    135
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I probly is just static since it's been very cold latly and in my theater you can't control the temprature. I should just use a 12volt adapter to power up the amp using the switched outlets but I can't figure out what plug i have to use on the amp end. I have an adapter, the cheap ones you get everywere that you can change the volts from 1.5-12v and polarity, but the multiplugs sizes included don't fit the amp end. the amp is a chiro c-300 and the hole for the trigger is relly big, looks kinda like an instument cable female.
     

Share This Page