static shock when touching amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericLee, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I've had the amp for almost 1 and 1/2 years and I've noticed that i've been getting shocked, literialy, by it. It usualy happenes after i listen and then get up to turn it off. I press the button and I get shocked. I don't know if it's just static or something else. But I fell that this shock is a little more painful then just static. Sometimes when i go to press the button on the amp I can actualy see the blue/white electric on the tip of my finger. Maybe it's related to the cold weather? I can usualy avoid getting shocked if i bang my hand on the metal rack then touch the amp.

2. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

From the last part of your post, it sounds like you're picking up static before touching the amp and then discharging when you touch it. If you can touch a metal rack and then touch the amp without shock then it doesn't sound like the amp and a lot like normal static electricity. Static electricity is generally worse in winter becuase of the drop in humidity in the air. It's also not uncommon to see the arc from a static discharge, especially in low light rooms.

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Sounds like static to me. Ground yourself to your rack first. [​IMG]

4. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem in the winter when the humidity is very low. I bought a warm mist humidifier made by Slant Fin, used it in my theater when the humidity level was low, and presto, problem solved.

MT

5. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I probly is just static since it's been very cold latly and in my theater you can't control the temprature. I should just use a 12volt adapter to power up the amp using the switched outlets but I can't figure out what plug i have to use on the amp end. I have an adapter, the cheap ones you get everywere that you can change the volts from 1.5-12v and polarity, but the multiplugs sizes included don't fit the amp end. the amp is a chiro c-300 and the hole for the trigger is relly big, looks kinda like an instument cable female.