Static in just one Paradigm

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeffrey_J, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Guest

I purchased a pair of Paradigm Atoms a couple of days ago for my surrounds, along with a CC-270 for the center and Esprits for the fronts. The Esprits had to be ordered so I will not be able to pick them up until Monday or Tuesday. In the mean time I figured I’d hook the Atoms up in the front. So I did just that and put in Avia to get everything calibrated. I noticed that in one of the Atoms when the level test tone was playing the speaker sounded extremely airy. I’m not even sure if airy is the right word to describe it. A very noticeable, constant static noise might be better. If I turn down the volume at a certain point it cannot be heard, but if I turn the volume just one notch up from that point all of a sudden I can hear it. As I keep increasing the volume the static noise increases too. The first thing I did was switch speakers. The static noise followed the speaker so it cannot be the receiver or wiring. It’s funny because I have played various CDs and clips from movies and everything sounds fine. Since I got the speakers I have not had the volume at high levels so I really don’t think I could have caused the problem myself. It just sounds so awful in Avia I just can’t imagine that the speaker is not damaged in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

If it follows the speaker, it no doubt is defective and I'd return it for a replacement.