What's new

Static heard when adjusting speaker volume (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
For the past week, when I've adjusted the speaker volume to be louder, I hear static. What could the cause of the problem be?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Where are you adjusting the volume at? Are you using the volume knob on the speaker or are you adjusting the level in windows?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Sounds like dirt or some sort of buildup on the contacts inside the speaker. Used to be a big problem on "boom boxes" back in the day.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
So if I open up the speaker and clean it out, is there a chance it would stop?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Radio Shack sells contact cleaner, a spray that you can use on the potentiometer. As mentioned, open the unit up so that you can immerse it from the inside of the component.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks. I don't know what a potentiometer is. How do I identify it?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The knob that you actually turn to increase/decrease the speaker volume shuold be physically connected to the potentiometer (abbreviated and commonly refered to as a "pot") so if you can manage to pop/remove the knob itself, the pot. would be behind/underneath it. The best way would be able to open it up and spray it on the inside, you could also try to just use the straw that is on the contact cleaner and try to get under the knob itself.

Jay

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Give a BJ first! :)

With canned air - if you have it. The knob you turn is connected to a short shaft (pole), which is connected to a round metal case (about the size of 4 nickels). Some have holes where you can aim a tube from a can.

Glenn

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I forgot to mention this earlier, I'm not sure if it will make a difference. Static is only heard when something is playing on the speakers.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It's still dirty. Although it might not be possible, if you could put some pressure on the knob (sideways) as you turn it the static might get louder, or be gone!

Contact cleaner is better, but I just figured that you'd have canned air lying around rather than contact cleaner.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks