Static Electricity

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Luis Esp, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

We have a humidifier installed with our furnace and I'm the only one who still manages to receive static shocks on every metal item in the house. I even get shocked when I'm turning on/off the lights, especially if I come into contact with the screws that hold the light face plates in.

My house has hardwood floors throughout, no carpeting whatsoever. No one else seems to suffer from this as much as I do.

Short of wearing a static guard bracelet 24/7, does anyone have suggestions?

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Stop dragging your feet when you walk?

3. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

Certain types of clothing can build up static when you move around. I think wool is something to avoid if you don't want static shocks.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You can also tape over the screws on the lights. [​IMG]

Jay

5. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Uncharge yourself by touching wood or plastic before you touch metal.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Are you running around the house in wool socks? Could you put a pair of cotton ones over them?

Glenn

7. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I get shocked all the time in my new house and have always gotten shocked getting out of every car Ive ever owned. My new house is the worse Ive ever experienced though. Its more like an arc welder than static shock. I have noticed that grabing the door frame before I hit the switch helps sometimes though.

8. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Stand still for a few seconds before touching anything, let the charge dissipate.

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I get shocked coming out of my car and we're not talking little itty bitty shocks but massive ones. Enough to give me red marks on my skin and for it to hurt for hours. I have no idea why, though, but it's worse in the winter. Is it my jacket or the heater or something else?

10. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

What's the RH in your house? 30-40% is my comfort zone. But I live in a [rant]very[/rant] dry, warm climate.

My owner's manual recommends:

20F+ = 35%
    10F = 30%
    0F = 25%
    -10F = 20%

11. Evelio Figueroa

Cloth seats, dry air, and a nylon jacket can build up static.

OK, I MUST tell you something for those who are getting shocked when getting out of the car. Before you fuel up your car, discharge yourself by touching something. Once you start fueling, DO NOT re-enter your car!!! You'll build up that static charge again. Once you get out and touch the fuel nozzle, a spark can jump causing a flash fire. Be safe and discharge yourself before fueling.

12. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yup..same here on getting out of cars. I have developed a way to minimize the "shock" not the actual electricity by touching the car door with my elbow or knuckles. The n whne opening up doors on shops, I first flick it with a finger to discharge the charge onto my fingernail. Better than on the more sensitive fingertips.
    But recently, it has gone down in frequency and intensity (no more blue arcs) whne we got leather seats for our new vehicles. I guess those cloth seats do intensify them.

13. david stark

david stark Second Unit

To stop getting static shocks around the house, not wearing shoes works for me. You get a static shock because there is a potential difference (a voltage) between you and what you touch. This can be built up by wearing shoes (usually rubber souls). Since rubber does not conduct electricity you can build up a p.d., but not wearing shoes allows the difference to flow to the floor thus you shouldn't get any shocks.

14. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I would love to not wear shoes, actually slippers, but unfortunately we have a jack russell that constantly shed little white hairs.

Just the other I made the mistake of trying to turn on the light switch with a hanger...a metal hanger no less...baaaaad move. I screamed like a little girl.

15. Evelio Figueroa

There is another way to stop yourself from charging.

Get rid of your credit cards!! [​IMG]