Static Electricity

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc.Q, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Marc.Q

Marc.Q Auditioning

Here is a noob questions if there ever was one:

I just moved into a new home and it seems like whenever I've been walking around and I touch my audio equipment I get a really good shock from static electricity. It is much more that your average static shock that you get day in and day out and I'm guessing it's because of the new carpet.

I'm only worried because I just purchased a new receiver and I am wondering if there is a possibility of damaging it.

Do I need to worry about this and if so is there something I should do so as not to damage my equipment.

Thanks

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i would say yes. i had a similar problem and when i would forget i would touch my gear and *literally* hear the pop through my speakers. drove me crazy.
    since i had a lot of roomates at the time it wasn't a big deal. i would zap one of them first. they soon learned to fear me i'll tell ya what!
    did i mention we also had three cats? [​IMG]
    insert evil laugh here...
    seriously though, if you can...try to avoid it. is there anything metallic nearby you can touch? lightswitch screw? window? outlet screw? does your equipment rack have any metal?

3. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

If its a new home the problem may be the new carpet. If that is the case it should go away in time.

What you could do now is use a carpet treatment designed to reduce static electricity. You may find it at a janitor supply house.

4. Marc.Q

Marc.Q Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the carpet treatment. Until that happens I will just touch my old vcr first and spare the good stuff. [​IMG]

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Both suggestions are good. You might find a one room portable humidifier (assuming it's a dry air problem) a cheaper approach.

Yes, you can damage electronics. Zapping a freind or unloading it on a door handle is a good idea. We had a DVD player the better half cooked doing just what you mentioned. It was entry level and never bothered to see what exactly it cooked. It will turn on but not operate. Also cooked a hand remote the same way.

We use a house system humidifier now...
    Gets very dry in the winter here.

So, zappppp no good. Definitly fix the problem.

Rgards
    Geoff

7. Marc.Q

Marc.Q Auditioning

Hah I knew it.....I'll bet thats why my X-box is having problems.[​IMG] At least I know for sure now and can take some precautions to save my new DVD and Receiver! THANKS!