Static Electricity and Me Pre/Pro...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve paul, Jan 28, 2002.

1. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

hey Guys..

Now that I have my system sounding good, I noticed a problem withmy Krell HTS2 pre/pro..anytime I walk aroundmy room for a minute, then touch either my amp, projector, dvd player or the Krell itself, the krell clicks o ff for a split second and comes back on. It appears the static electricity is doing this, but it happens when I touch any of the gear in the room! Any ideas?

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Stop dragging you feet. [​IMG]
    I haven't the faintest idea what you could do. [​IMG]

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Humidifer. Or stay off the carpet.

I'd also check the ground on the Krell, make sure it's fully operational.

4. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

Yea, its weird as I never had this problem with any reciever..AND to top it off, it only does this when I have the Krell on DVD with a digital input. If I have it on CD using my analog signal it does not do it! Very very strange. I can just get up, walk two feet to touch my power button on the projector and the Krell clicks off for a sec..

Who knows...

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I work for a radio station, we have static electricity problems during the winter as well.

There's a company called "Read Right" that makes a spray called "Static Stopper." Works great...just spray a bit on the floor every once in a while and it'll take care of your problem....you can also use a humidifier as Ric mentioned, but I don't care for high humidity around my gear...YMMV.

Jeremy

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Actually, Alaska gets extremely dry in the winter...not as bad as Arizona, but we see high 30's, low 40's for percentage.
    In Arizona, maybe the humidity wouldn't hurt anything, because you could be just approaching normal percentages with artificial humidity.
    There are some anti-static mats as well...you could use them next to your equipment rack. Or just have something other than your gear nearby that is metallic...touch it each time before you touch your gear and de-electicize yourself....don't think that is a word, but you get the point.[​IMG]
    Jeremy