Static Duster Danger....?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Vader, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Hi all,

I think this may be yet another manifestation of my manic paranoia, but I want to be sure. I have been using a static duster (sort-of a generic Swiffer) to dust my components, and never had a problem. When I dusted today I noticed that the static duster reset an LCD digital clock as I was dusting it. I know that the charge is several thousand times less powerful than a door shock (just enough to pick up loose dust), but I am worried that a residual charge could be building up on the chasis of my amp (& DVD player, LD Player, etc). Am I worrying over nothing? Thanks in advance!

Derek

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So yer paranoid you say, eh?

No, there's little to no chance of a static charge building up. Next time spray a little Static Guard available at you local supermarket on the Swiffer.

This has been another helpful hint from the Heloise Audio collection.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, Chu.....:)

After some consideration, I concluded that it would be bad if any electrical components were touching the chassis anyway (otherwise that would give a short). I have not used my physics training in a while, but if memory serves the electric field inside a hollow conductor (like the metal chassis of my amp) is zero anyway. So, unless I choose to open up the chassis and dust the components directly with the static duster ("in the case of an actual synaptic connection, you will be instructed to..."), I think I am safe (knock on wood).

Or am I all wet here? Has anybody ever fried anything by using static-based dusting?

Derek

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think the worse you can get is a static discharge, which, depending upon what you've got in your system, could certainly wreak some havoc with internal microprocessors, clocks, memory modules, eproms, eeproms, etc. After all, it's more than a few volts.
    If you've ever worked on your computer then you know that you're always advised to ground yourself by touching a metal object to dissipate any charge that your body may have (trashing a bios is no fun...neither's the CPU) and in fact, careful individuals will use a grounding strap of some sort. The same caveats to my mind apply here. Winter weather, due to the low humidity, will of course make matters worse.