state of the union address to be broadcast in HDTV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by KevinJ, Jan 17, 2004.

1. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

abc and cbs'll be doing it this tuesday[maybe if this goes over well we'll see the network news in HDTV before very long]

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Not likely. A sitcom or drama can be shot with a handful of cameras. A sporting event or awards ceremony requires about a dozen cameras. But a newscast utilizes video that comes from all over the world, some of it recorded on tape and edited, some of it live via satellite. You can't expect all the cameras and all the editing equipment and all the trucks and all the satellite uplinks to become HD anytime soon. Sure, you can put an HD camera in front of Brokaw or Rather or Jennings at the network studio, and for what it's worth you'll see every wrinkle in all their HD glory, but it would only be HD until they cut away to a satellite uplink from a sand dune in Iraq or just about any other video. If you think it's annoying when a HD football game falls back to SD every now and then (one or more cameras aren't true HD, along with none of the prerecorded video of player interviews and such), just imagine how it would be when the only part of the game that is in HD is when they show Al Michaels and John Madden talking in the booth.

The State of the Union Address is less like news and more like a sporting event or an awards ceremony. It is not what I believe they call "spot news" that happens anywhere at anytime and without warning. The networks know when and where the address will take place and there will be fixed camera positions located around the House of Representatives. (I could be wrong but I don't believe they use handheld cameras to get into the faces of the cabinet members and Supreme Court justices and honored guests in the front row, like they do to nominees at awards ceremonies, so in that respect it's even easier to cover a speech than a game or awards ceremony.)

Furthermore, only one network will actually have cameras there, and the other networks will share its video "pool" feed. (That's why you can flip channels and they will all have the same camera angle of the president.) The same goes for the Democratic response. The designated network for each rotates each year, just like the Superbowl. This year, ABC has the address and CBS has the Democratic response, and each will do it in HDTV with the other one borrowing the HD feed.

3. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Well, it is a bit like Fox "News". [​IMG]

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

[​IMG]

5. Roger Wink

Roger Wink Auditioning

What time is it on? I want to make sure there is something good on TLC or TCM or some other station.

6. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I didn't say it wouldn't be in HD, read my last sentence again. I know for certain that ABC and CBS will have it. I didn't see anything mentioned about NBC, but as I said ABC and CBS are doing the camerawork for the address and the Dems' response respectively, and the video goes into a pool to be shared by any network that wants it.

I was explaining why a planned and scheduled event like the State of the Union being in HD is not a sign that network newscasts will be in HD soon.

And Sven, don't make this into a political thread.