State of Marx Bros. source material and DVD status?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Boyd, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Sep 19, 2000
    Hi, I know the early Paramounts were out on DVD briefly, but I didn't pick them up before they went OOP. Anyone care to comment on the quality or does anyone know if these will come out again soon.
    Also wondered if anyone was aware of the condition of the source material for the Marx Bros. I hadn't seen their movies in about 10 years and a friend showed me Animal Crackers on VHS rental the other night. Looked pretty bad. Lots of missing frames of film, scratchy sound, poor picture of course. When I watched Visions Of Light I noticed they had a small segment of The Coconauts in it and the difference in quality was night and day. OF course this film came before Animal Crackers
    Just wondered if anyone knew what to expect when these eventually come back to DVD or the ones that weren't on DVD are released for the first time.
    Michael Boyd
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    Had no idea those Marx Brothers movie DVDs
    were OOP, but I just checked LASERS EDGE
    and DIGITAL EYES and they had nothing.
    The DVDs looked really good.
    You might also look into purchasing
    The Unknown Marx Brothers, which is
    a great look at their life story with tons
    of footage from their late television years.
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]
  3. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Jun 22, 2001
    I wouldn't say "real good", but just ok... As you said a lot of missing frames, there were a lot of parts with huge scratches going down the screen.
    My DVD copy of Duck Soup seems to be from the same print as the VHS as I suspect all the others are.
    I wish these movies would get the restoration they deserve instead of being pawned off to Image for distribution.