What's new

"State Of Fear" by Michael Crichton - possible spoilers (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Has anyone here read this fiction novel? It deals with the subject of Global warming and whether it is fact or fiction, actually quite intriguing. Internet searches reveal the same thought patterns among scientists, experts, the media etc etc etc. The whole subject is so confusing with data that can argue both sides.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to check this one out. Michael Crichton has been one of my favourite authors ever since i first read one of his books, Sphere. That was 5 years ago, and many novels later, I still enjoy his work.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah there was a thread about this some time ago when the book came out.

It's basically that there is a preponderence of evidence that supports both sides (and some that support that it's inconclusive) but because of media agenda, only the "global warming is killing the earth" argument is touted.

Like him/hate him, agree/disagree, one thing Crichton does is research. And he provides tons of footnotes and citations that are legitimate, to bigtime scientific publications (think Nature) to back his claims up.

As usual with MC novels, the characters and "plot" are just there to service his scientific assertions. Don't go into it for characterization or a compelling story. That said, I read it and enjoyed it. Certainly eye-opening to say the least.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yeah I just finished reading this a few weeks ago and I couldn't tell you too many details about the plot or characters anymore. The thing I did take away from it though is the environmental information that was presented. So if your interested in global warming (or the lack thereof ;) ) this would be an interesting book to look into.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
We had the is “weather getting weirder” thread a ways back in AHL not too long ago.

I argued on the side of doubting Thomas as regards much of the global warming predications, I acquired MC’s book due to a reference made to it, by a poster who mentioned it in the weird weather thread. Basically for the same reason set forth in Crichton's book, I felt like the book was very, up my alley, on what personal thoughts I have regarding the topic. (Fence sitter unimpressed by the totality of conviction espoused by many seated in global warming "doomsday" scientific predictions.) I have felt for many years that over the future thousands yet to come, The earth (with or without our input) will yet achieve warmer averages globally than the current mediums, (with dramatic impact) and in sequence,- then again - go to cold. All documented by our geological history, covering a greater lenght of span, than our blink of eye period of influence.

So I read the book with great current interest regarding the subject. However, viewed from a literary standpoint, I felt it was one of this author’s weakest efforts, in plot and dialogue. My main complaint that he took what could be described as the lazy path in relying upon one of the main characters over abusing a role of informed “teacher”, displaying heavy reliance on dialogue consisting of , mini-lectures. This appeared to work in early chapters in the novel but became tedious, and chunky throughout its length, appearing (to me) to lack creativity and freshness, when thrown in with the frequeny used, throughout to last pages. Although would not wish to be in the position of attempting to condense/simplify the type research referenced, into a novel for “drama/entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks