State borders....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Jul 1, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Why didn't the upper pennisula of Michigan become part of Wisconsin or it's own state?...North Michigan..yeah! Also, what is up with the western part of Maryland?? it squeezes to the size of a freeway than expands into a big blob.

(I have too much time on my hands) [​IMG]

(corrected my incorrect state border [​IMG] )

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

But where would the 51st star go on the flag?[​IMG]

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Actually according to some, before statehood, most of the lower peninsula inhabitants did not really want anything to do with the Upper Peninsula (UP). But, the Toledo War (pretty funny actually) where Michigan tried to defend what they thought was their territory (Toledo) sort of ended with Michigan getting the Western part of the UP as compensation for losing Toledo.

Not at all a bad trade if you have been to both places. [​IMG]

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's also funny how Vermont and New Hampshire are very similarly shaped.

5. ToddR

ToddR Agent

Perhaps because it doesn't border Minnesota? I know that Wisconsin is not that memorable, but it is still on the map...

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'd take the UP over Toledo any day! [​IMG]

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Even though I'm from Minnesota and there has been a friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) rivalry between the two states for umpteen years, Wisconsin is quite a beautiful state; overall, as heretical as it is for a Minnesotan to say this, more beautiful than Minnesota (a lot of western and central Minnesota is pretty boring). The downside to Wisconsin - at least to me - is that the residents drink more than the inhabitants of any other state in the union, and they hate the Vikings.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Speaking of borders, the one that gets me is Point Roberts, WA. The only way to get out of town and to go anyplace else in Washington (or the rest of the country for that matter), is by going into Canada, and then exiting it again.

Glenn

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Lew's explanation pretty much sums it up. Michigan got the U.P. as a consolation prize after losing Toledo in a border dispute. In hindsight, I think Michigan got the better end of the deal. It's a beautiful and still relatively uncongested area.

BTW, there was some discussion about 20-30 years ago about the Upper Penisula wanting to break off and become their own state, claiming they were not being represented well in Lansing (the state capitol). Considering that most of the tax revenue for the state comes from the vastly more populated Lower Penisula, logic prevaled and this issue was dropped. After all, the U.P. does not have much of a tax base, as there is very little industry anymore and there are only a few decent sized towns.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Michigan has a similar situation—the resolution of the Toledo War, [​IMG] resulted in a straight line border between Ohio and Michigan. This includes the tip of a peninsula that originates in Ohio (Toledo area) and juts into Lake Erie in a northeast direction. The tip is in Michigan and the only way (via land) to Michigan is by driving south to Ohio.

IIRC the term used locally is the 'lost peninsula'.

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ive lived in Montana my whole life, and I have not seen about 80% of it. I live in the southwestern part, and have been all over the western third of the state, which is covered by mountains and trees, but the flat and rolling eastern section is as foriegn to me as the North Pole. Its a whole other world over there. I say call it West Dakota.

[​IMG]

12. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

As far as MD, it is actually 2 miles at the place you are talking about. But I realize you were just exaggerating for the sake of the point of the post. The northern border of MD is the Mason Dixon line, which was deliniated to settle a property dispute. The southern border (of western MD) is determined by the Potomac River. So I guess that the property dispute was just 2 miles from the Potomac River at that location.

Stefan

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The state that really needs to break up is California. 35 million people in one state is too many. How about FIVE new states: San Diego + desert, LA, Bay Area, central valley + sierras, and northern california? Hey we would get EIGHT new senators that way.....[​IMG]

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'll drink to that!

IIRC, Wisconsin's southern border used to be in line with the bottom of Lake Michigan. But, I think Illinois complained about not having any port access and the border was pushed north. Otherwise Chicago would've been in Wisconsin. Go figure.

Actually, since we're on the subject, could we move Chicago about 200 miles west? It's such a pain to live in Wisconsin and, if you want to drive anywhere, you have to go through Chicago to get there! No wonder we all just stay home and drink!

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what's up with colorado? it's like a weird square box, couldn't they find a river or something to use? [​IMG]

16. alan halvorson

I've hunted in the eastern and central part of Montana four times. Believe me, it's not anything like what the Montana Tourist Bureau advertises on TV. It's dreary, brown, desolate and hardly anyone lives there. I recall that the total population of Garfield County in northeast Montana, which is as big as R.I., was less than 2,000. On the other hand, everyone I encountered was as friendly as could be, except the ranchers, who seemed to hate us out-of-staters.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Just the ones from MN [​IMG]

ps I grew up in Billings, not all of eastern MT is so bad.. but once you get to miles city you might as well consider it part of north dakota... it sucks just as much.

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Wasn't North Dakota considering changing the name of the state to just "Dakota"?

19. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

it is kinda ironic that the only 3 states without an iregualr border are right together, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, wait Wyoming? is that even a state? [​IMG]

20. alan halvorson

On one of my hunting trips to Montana, we stopped to gas up in Bismarck, ND. There was a big sign proudly saying: Welcome to North Dakota. Mountain Removal Project Completed.. I thought it was cute.