State and Main - What did everyone else think?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Sievers, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I had been wanting to see this movie for a long time, and I finally got the chance when it came out on DVD recently here in Australia.

I'm so glad I did this was one of the funniest films in recent memory, I thought William H. Macy stole the show as the fictional film's director. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was perfectly cast as usual and I thought his relationship with the Rebecca Pidgeon character had great chemistry. The rest of the cast were a delight as well.

I thought in some parts it may have dragged a little but it definately wasn't enough to squabble about. I'm a fan of Mamet's other work and this is definately one of his best. I would give it a 3 1/2 out of 4, and I definately recommend it to people who have yet to see it.

I watched this with my 2 flat-mates and they didn't know what I was laughing at. By the end one was asleep and the other went off to his room which was a bit disappointing. I felt they missed a gem of a movie.

I'm just curious as to what others thought about this film?

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I loved the movie! Having penned a novel about the making of a movie, I saw a lot of truth in the comedy of STATE AND MAIN from my own research.

3. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

One of my favorite movies of 2000, actually. Pidgeon, Hoffman, and Macy are magnificent as usual, but I felt that the character that stole the show was Mamet's dialogue - it simply crackles. I didn't really care where the plot was going, I just wanted to see what the characters would say next! Don't worry Nick, you weren't alone - I laughed out loud when I watched this the first time, then I made the mistake of watching it with my roommate. [​IMG]
    "Go you Huskies."
    "But it's absurd."
    "So's our electoral process, but we still vote."
    "You know what you've got there? You've got a fishhook in your finger."
    "Everybody needs a hobby."
    [​IMG]

4. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was funny as hell myself . I added my favorite line to my signature. [​IMG]

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I thought it was damn good, although not among Mamet's best. Plus, I just can't stomach Ms. Mamet and how she's in all hubby's flicks. Dave, love her! Treat her right! But DON'T put her in any more movies! Rebecca Pidgeon is such a laughable performer, she almost ruined Heist for me.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Uh, oh, looks like it's time for the semi-annual HTF Rebecca Pidgeon debate. [​IMG]
    Personally, I like her a lot. Not only that, I have all her CDs!!

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Most people know my dislike for Rebecca Pidgeon as an actress as well. It's like her timing is off, or she just doesn't know how to come across naturally. Compare her acting to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's acting in their scenes and he blows her off the screen.

The movie itself was good in the beginning, but careened out of control and creepy for the second half. I think I gave it a B- when I reviewed it last year.

8. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

While I do think Mamet has good dialogue it is really just too good. Does that make sense? It is clearly movie dialogue (or play dialogue). It comes off as too, well, scripted. I know movie dialogue in general is nothing like real dialogue, but Mamet seems to turn that discrepency up to 11. The only movie of his where the dialogus crackled and didn't seem obviuosly to be from the pen of a writer was Glengarry Glen Ross

Regarding Rebecca Pidgeon, I liked her in Spanish Prisoner, but have to generally side with the anti-Pidgeon camp.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I absolutely loved State and Main I think it far superior to most of Mamet's other stuff (like Heist) -- I think he is too talented a dialog writer to waste his time with genre movies.
    On the other hand in State and Main he made a movie about something he really knows and understands, and that came through. I have no problem whatsoever with Rebecca Pidgeon -- I think she is a fine actress, and a perfect fit for her State and Main part. To paraphrase a line from Heist: "She could act her way out of a sunburn!"
    Ted

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I loved this movie and I fell in love with Rebecca Pidgeons character almost immediately.

One thing that was sort of hard to swallow was PSH in a romantic lead. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great and gives hope for every average, big-headed schmuck out there, but just a little hard to swallow.

11. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I thought the inside humor from the movie industry was very funny. Sounded typical which is why it worked.

Deane

12. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It was good, but I expected it to be better. Rebecca didn't bother me. (But then I really only notice bad acting when it's like Denise Richards in The World Is Not Enough.)

I was trying to figure out when they screwed up the night of the dinner at the mayor's house. When that one woman accidentally erased the date on the calendar, she erased what was left in green and rewrote it in red. In the next shot, you can see the date is right. But somewhere along the way, it got switched from Tuesday to Wednesday. Did I miss something?

//Ken

14. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Yet another Mamet film thread that turns into a love/hate Rebecca Pidgeon thread. How could I have guessed? Regardless of what others may think about her "bad acting," Pidgeon is a very talented actress who nails Mamet's dialog superbly. She's an excellent singer as well. Oh, and she's not too hard on the eyes either, but I digress. Bad actors simply don't go to RADA.

As for the film, I love State and Main immensely. It was was my favorite film of 2000, and my most watched DVD of 2001. It gets funnier with every passing viewing, as it's filled with clever dialog and prop jokes (e.g. the attire of the mayor and his wife at their dinner party, Parker's costume in the final scene, etc.).

"Go you Huskies!"

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm not a big fan partly because of the reason David Oliver already mentioned.

But I can live with that effect if it's good dialog, which Mamet usually delivers. For me what holds it under water and makes the dialog bug me is the pacing/timing of scenes. Rather than being quick and sharp like GGGRoss many of the scenes have expanded pauses between great lines or before cutting away to the next scene after a great line.

For me that really drags the film down. I think every scene could have lost 3-4 seconds and the pace might have picked way up and come across as "snappy" rather than "smarmy".

So to me, a lot of potential, but a bit of a letdown.

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here are my comments I originally posted here when the film came out: