What's new

Starz Home Entertainment (Anchor Bay) Goes Blu (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Cost of hardware has come down significantly do to this competition. If it were not for that, BD players would still be in excess of $1000.00. Maybe that is fine for you, but that would kill the formats ability to move into the general publec. Quality of releases has moved up do to this competition. If it were not for this competition, it is unlikely Sony would be remastering Fifth Element and there would be little reason for the studios to put out their finest.

I can not think of a time where competition was a negative in the release of these formats, and I see it as a benefit for at least the near term.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I think you are right, and may even be giving it too positive of a spin. I don't think there is anyone out waiting for the war to end. It is more to the point that the average DVD viewer just does not give a crap about either format, assuming that they have even heard of them. We are a long way from these HD formats making any headway into the realm of the general public.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I ignore your "fine for you"-remark, but I doubt that PS3 would cost 1000$, EVEN without the format war. I also believe that e.g. Panasonic Blu-ray-player would be around the same price range as it´s now (probably a bit higher), even without the format war. This "1000$" was the price with the first Blu-ray-players and it´s over a year from those first players..

It´s also (IMO) speculation that "Fifth Element" is now re-released "because of the format war". I believe it´s because they understood the mistake they did with this title (there were others too, no doubt) and how it made the whole format "look bad" (when it was just badly mastered print from the weak source etc). So in the end: They have listened the fans (or was that status already reserved for HD DVD? ;) ) and their complains.

But of course, this is also speculation and how I see this issue. It´s not a fact. I guess the speculation is all we have at the moment in some areas of the format war. :)

IMO, the "format war" is now in "phase 2". The differences with these two formats are very minor and certainly something that doesn´t have effect on the "general public". They don´t care about the codecs, audio bitrates and disc capacities. These issues simply doesn´t make that much difference to many average people.

These are the main issues on the battlefield at the moment:
1) Prices (both players and films).
2) Software. People need films! Different ones. And lots of them to choose from. Not just "Matrix". Not just "Pirates".
3) Studios. What will Universal do? Could it be that some companies go dual format? Etc.
4) Marketing. Availability. There must be plenty of films to choose from in the big chain-stores etc. People need to see that HD is hear to stay and not a new SACD or something like that.

We can of course argue about the small details and differences (it´s often fun when done in civilized way), but perhaps we should start seeing the "big picture" more often. In this "big picture", the winner is the one with the best selection of studios/films, decent pricing in the hardware and best marketing scheme. That format will have the change of surviving.

Masses is the key.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree. I also fully agree that most of this (on my side) is speculation.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Except that price of almost all new electronics drop drastically during the first few years. Just like we saw with DVD players, CD players, VCRs, etc. I wouldn't expect any different from BD players. Now, I will agree that if it weren't for the competition from Toshiba, that BD players wouldn't be $499 yet. But I don't think they would still be at $1000.

I agree with pretty much everything else you've said. Although, being dual-format I don't why you are disappointed about Starz/Anchor Bay going Blu. The day I became dual-format is the day that I totally stopped caring about the format war.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Understand I am not unhappy or disappointed in their releasing their titles in High Def, only that they decided to release only one format. Being a dual format user, I will not lose out one way or the other (in fact, I just ordered the new Panny to replace my Samsung which took a bath this weekend thanks to my 5 year old grand daughter:D ), but many will.

As far as the war (competition), it is getting boring, and while I have my preference as to what side I would like to prevail, if one must, for the most part, like you, I really don't care much.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

The odds of The Fifth Element becoming the BD standard for quality is highly unlikely even without HD DVD. The members of this forum and others like it still would have raised holy hell.

I will admit that competition with HD DVD has had a positive effect on BD, there's no doubt about that. However, I think what the competition did was speed improvements along that would've happened anyway, just at a slower pace. DVD faced these exact same growing pains, but at least it was a unified format.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Halloween, Evil Dead II (If remastered) and Dawn of the Dead (Original only) will be on my buy list. Hopefully they will remaster these films. As I already own the Masters of Horror DVD's, I think I would pass on those.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This is the FIRST exclusive news to bother me.

I want Halloween as well as some other AB titles(and Re-Animator) in HD.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
But Jon, they'll be in HD, just not HD DVD. :) BTW, I heard Anna Paquin is going to be BD exclusive. No lie. ;)

Wow. There's a thought, the next evolutionary step in the format war, the hot actress exclusivity. :laugh:

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I don't expect much to change, but I would encourage everyone whose upset about this to take a few minutes and send them a letter and/or email detailing your feelings about the decision.

I, for one, own just about 300 Anchor Bay titles, and would've been a loyal (and repeat) HD-DVD buyer. I made sure they let them know that.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
From the sales numbers for both formats, which doesn't even equal to a middling DVD release these days, Starz announcement is a bit silly. And when places like Best Buy doesn't even carry all the titles released (or maybe 1 or 2 and I miss them! Yikes!), how does Starz expect to justify this decision? Oh well, I own both formats and pick and choose which titles I buy and which I rent anyway.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Starz did state that they would be releasing the masters of horror thingy only. The way I understand it, they are taking a "wait and see" approach with both HD formats, and that if BD emerged victorious, THEN they would release their catalog titles.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, that is the way the press release read to me as well. Somehow, I think this news of potential titles such as Halloween, Evil Dead 2, etc. are premature and/or wishful thinking. Then again, Anchor Bay has never been shy about dipping on Halloween, and they have a golden tie-in opportunity this fall with the Rob Zombie version.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay has typically responded to all of my emails in the past...hopefully they will this time as well.

If so I will be sure to post it here.

I probably wouldn't double dip for any Masters of Horror, but anything else in their catalog (pre 1995) would see me in a heartbeat.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

:laugh: great post!

I'm also disappointed about this current BD exclusivity. But as has been stated, this certainly isn't anything definitive, much like the BB announcement. The fact is, if enough HD-DVD players/software is sold there is no way Anchor Bay would remain exclusively with BD.

Cheers,

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks