StarWars.Com - Widescreen Vs. Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I know there is a seperate thread for Star Wars related DVD news, but I wanted to post this for those who care about widescreen but not neccassily about the Star Wars DVDs. The Offical Star Wars website posted a feature on the difference between the widescreen and full screen versions for Episode II. It is a really unbiased article, which presents both viewpoints without taking sides either way. It's quite in depth too, even conveying that films before the fifties were 1.33:1 which is why TVs have a different shape from widescreen movies. It also posted screenshots from the DVDs to compare... some examples were really good and clear for converting people to widescreen, for example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was, as far as I could tell completely factual, mentioning the loss in resolution for widescreen versus seeing the whole image. The only notable omission was that of anamorphic enhancement for widescreen films.

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Interesting article. The author presents both arguments very well. I wonder what the motivation for the article was?

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The more info the better, especially when it utilizes what is going to be one of the biggest sellers on DVD. Now, they could include this tutorial on the Fullscreen DVD-upfront and unskippable.
    (But, really...is showing a cropped picture that removes Jar Jar from the frame smart? That might inspire people to embrace P/S more! [​IMG] )
    Bruce

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Why do you think I posted the second example?[​IMG]

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

This one here should convert any full screen fan. Just look at how badly the full screen version butchers the composition.
    You know, in this one, I think the full screen version actually looks better.
    *runs away*

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

I like the full screen better! It feels like the way Stanley would of wanted it. Plus it fills my screen up nicely.

O.K. hold of on the tomatoes, I was just playing devils advocate, or Joe 6 pack your choice. It is indeed a good article, I just wish it was more than the choir reading these articles.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It was a pro-OAR article hiding as a balanced article. We all know that George is anti P&S, but faces the realities of Wal-Mart

Notice the careful choosing of shots? He SPECIFICALLY chose shots that are totally butchered. The only problem I have with it is

10. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

i love this article so much, I'm going to forward a link to everyone on the internet.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Good article. However, I wish it tilted even more to widescreen's favor (though it still favored widescreen). The article failed to mentioned that print flaws, more grain, etc. are more visible with the pan and scan since the picture is being magnified in a manner it was not intended to be as it was filmed - even though there is more resolution.

12. Dennis_HT

Dennis_HT Agent

Great article from starwars.com.

On a side note, the comparison of screengrabs from the Obi-wan/Jango Fett conversation really showed the advantages of widescreen. I thought that was a very effective scene in the movie theater with Obi-Wan reacting to Jango Fett in the same frame. On the pan and scan version, Obi-wan is completely removed.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

fantastic article
    [​IMG]

14. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Why don't we print these examples off in color and take them to our local Walmarts, and ask them if they'd post them when the DVDs are released?

Worth a shot.

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I don't know if that first example is going to persuade people to go Widescreen because the Full Screen version actually crops Jar Jar out.

16. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG]
    Boy! If these screenshots don't convince some pro-P&S'ers to convert to WS, I don't know what will! Just LOOK at how MUCH we're missing in the P&S version! An entire character is cut out, plus a foot of space behind him even!
    Good pics!

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Off-topic (but I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else @ HTF) ..... Can anybody see the images I posted in the above post? Or is it just an URL to the pics? I get only URLs to images now (and for about a month now on HTF). Is this happening for all members (to save bandwidth)? Or am I alone?

Thanks.

19. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

20. John J Nelson

John J Nelson Stunt Coordinator