What's new

Starve a cold, feed a fever... what does that mean? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
After my recent bout with the flu (hey, I lost 5 lbs!), I thought about this common phrase and realized... I have no idea what it means.

Am I not supposed to eat when I have a cold? Or are they speaking metaphorically and saying I should stay warm when I'm sick? Thus "starving" the "cold" and "feeding" the "fever"?.. I don't get it.

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do?

WORD OF ADVICE: Never eat Thai food if you're planning on getting the flu.... yeowch!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Many people think that it’s a form of advice, meaning that if you have a cold, you should cut down on your food consumption (starve a cold), but that if you have a fever (something worse than a cold), that you should increase your food consumption (feed a fever).

But that’s not right. It’s actually an admonition, warning that if you cut back on your food consumption while you have a cold (starve a cold), you’ll end up making it worse (a fever) and have to deal with a worse malady down the road (feed a fever).

What to do: Drink lots of fluids.

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
The way I understood it is that you're supposed to starve a cold OF COLD TEMPERATURES (i.e., stay out of the cold) and feed a fever WARM TEMPERATURES (i.e., bundle up).

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I say if you blow chunks, stick with water/sprite/and a coupla saltines. If your head is all plugged up, have some spicy Mexican or Cajun food, or put tobasco on anything. You'll be breathing easily soon.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The problem is that this silly phrase is worded in such a way that it can be taken either as advice OR as an admonition.

There are many others that share the same syntax/structure, but their meaning is more obvious.

Advice: Lefty loosey, righty tighty - Something you should always do (or at least try first).

Admonition: A minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. - If you eat it, you're gonna get fat. (In other words, a "minute on the lips" is not advised.)

I can't think of any others, but I'm sure there are more that are just as confusing as "feed a cold, starve a fever."

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
"Feed a bear, lose a hand".

Thanks for clearing it all up, Bri. Thankfully, I'm over my bug and I plan on hitting my local margarita establishment tomorrow night.

Anyone ever hear that when your sick, you're body will crave what's best for it? Someone told me that once. I was craving salty snacks the other day while I was sick. Probably to help retain fluids.

I was really jonesin' for some Totino's pizza rolls.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Since most people I know (including me) are about 99% full of BS and any idiot back in time could have made this up, just ignore it. You can trust a catch phrase, but I would rather take the unsnappy yet thouroughly researched and documented plan of the modern doctor:

* Rest yourself
* Stay bundled up / warm
* Drink lots of fluids
* Take mild medications as needed
* See a doctor if it gets extreme

Works for almost any flu/cold ;)

Users who are viewing this thread