Startup.Com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Sep 14, 2001.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I checked this out last night, and it comes out on Tuesday.
    Startup.Com is a documentary about 2 20-somethings who start up govworks.com, a website to pay your parking tickets online, and interact with government. It's a great behind-the-scenes look of the dot.commerce craze. It's one of those documentaries that the academy will certainly overlook. (IE, it's a great flick.)
    Picture wise, it's 1.33:1 (its OAR) Clean, crisp, picture.
    Sound is DD5.1, and while not of reference quality it gets the job done.
    It gets a big [​IMG] from me.
    Jason

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I also took a look at the film this afternoon and really think it's one of 2001's very best. The tension and joy that turns to sorrow during this story I simply found riveting. My only real complaint is that I feel it could have been even longer...I would have liked some scenes fleshed out even more than they were.
    Artisan's DVD boasts audio/video that's probably as best as the film is going to look, considering it was shot on digital video. The audio is 5.1, but there are only a few scenes where the surrounds come into play.
    The featurette is informative and the commentary is entertaining and insightful, but where I thought the DVD was lacking was deleted scenes. I was very suprised that, for a documentary like this, no deleted scenes were included.
    Still, a must-see. My full film/dvd review is at the link below.
    DVD Review: Startup.com

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Jason,
    Sorry if my jab at the academy was out of line, it's just something you hear about every year (Spike Lee had some choice words when his 4 Little Girls film (a very moving film) was nominated a few years ago.
    I'd add to the list of overlooked docs in recent years "Mr. Death" and "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control." Both are Errol Morris films. Ebert once said (in a movie answer man column some time ago) that his films are never nominated, but he didn't give a reason why. FWIW I've seen those 2 Morris flicks, they were great. I'd like to see The Thin Blue Line and A Brief History of Time, but both are OOP on VHS, and no word on a DVD release. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, let the discussion on Startup.Com continue...
    Jason