Starting to research on a new RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan Peddle, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

OK...here is the deal. I have searched and read about a million threads and they have answered a few of my questions but not all.

Current display is a toshiba 32" CRT tube that is about 11 years old, and how I love it. But now that I am putting off buying a house for a year, I am going to treat myself to a new TV to make my apartment living more enjoyable.

So I am looking for a 40 to 51" display that will be mainly used for DVD, some Xbox, and SD cable TV. There is no major light that could obstuct the light on the tv as we will be putting in a dark drape of the balcony window. I may upgrade to HDTV in the future, but not until I buy a home, and it is not of any major concern.

My budget is $1500 to $2200 CAD or $1200 to $1800 USD.

Now to come right out, I'm not looking for places to buy them, I will be buying it at either Best Buy or Futureshop here in Canada due to their equal payment, no interest setup.

What I am looking for is advice on what models to look at and ones that have a good track record. Right now Futureshop has the Toshiba 51H84 on for $1799 CAD or $1450 USD. And although I am a huge fan of Toshiba I have heard of a few problems with this set.

So, please help me with you suggestions and help me weigh my options. Hopefully I have answered all the questions that usually come back after somebody posts a thread like this.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Go with the Sony 520 model - I just got mine ISF calibrated and the grayscale was almost ideal out of the box (unless I was just lucky).

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I found a very nice samsung 47 rear projection at sam's club. also came with a free stand.
    I live in a condo and it was just a perfect size.. its big, but not over big for the place. I don't think I can go any higher with a tv at place..with the size.
    JACOB

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I just got back from both Best Buy and Futureshop and I certainly like the Panasonic PT53WX54/PS53WX54. The setup they had at best buy looked seriously nice, a very vibrant colours and a great overall picture. Anybody have any experience with this set, it seems to be well received across the net.

But the major concern is that I believe that these are older models. Panasonic PT47X54 and PT53X54 are the newer models and I'm wondering what the major differences they have.

Any Help?

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Go with the new Panny if you can. The X54's model are far better then the WX54's model. I think they are the best yet from Panny. Its better built and the picture looks outstanding.

I believe that Panny aren't going to make any RPTV's any further. The X54's could have been their last models in the CRT RPTV market.

The X54's has HDMI, rather than DVI on the WX54's.

If I was in the market on a new CRT RPTV right now and Best Buy didn't offer the X54's, I would look at somewhere else or look for a different brand unless you can get the WX54 for cheap.

I've had both series (WX42, same thing as the WX54, but without DVI, or auto convergence) and the X54, 47'.

The X54 is far better set overall. I am very please with the picture.

I should note that I had the X54 ISF calibrated, but even after using a setup disc, the pictures looked better.

6. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

When you go into the stores, you'll notice that even a lot of the regular CRTs look different - brightness, colors/tint, black level, etc. This is because they aren't properly set up.

If you go in and just look at what they have, ie., a supposedly HD signal, it may be split over 10-30 TVs, with less-than-perfect splitting. The cables may even be composite (as opposed to component).

In a speaker demo room, I saw a 50" Mitsu DLP running SW - it looked like crap. The DVD player was probably doing interlaced over a composite cable.

So if you really want to "test" sets out, take in a few test DVDs of your own that you know really well, stuff with good colors, good dark/black scenes, etc., ask them to hook up a DVD player with component cables, and play around with the picture settings as you test your DVDs.

Basically, don't make a decision based on just how they look lined up, playing whatever it is they have running over whatever cheap cables they use to split the signal through the whole store...

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ditto on the Sony 520. I didn't have it calibrated yet, but out of the box, the contrast was already set at half and brightness was set to just a tad more. This was pretty surprising to me after reading a few post about how most t.v.s come with contrast and brightness at maximum. Calibrating it with V.E. made the picture even better. Or you can get a 60 inch Phillips for 1297 at Circuit City. Personally it doesn't compare to the Sony IMHO, but a pretty good picture.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ryan:

Whatever you do have them show you all sorts of feeds. HDTV, DVD and SDTV to see if you like the picture with all of them. Many of the RPTVs out there look great with HDTV and DVD but you put a standard def picture into them and they look like crap.

I haven't been able to get Best Buy to do that for me. They only will show me the HiDef picture that they have up and running on all the TVs in the store. If you can see the model that you are interested in and you can get them to switch out the feeds that should help you make a more informed decision on your purchase.

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter on the brand. It matters on what it looks like when you get it home and hook it up.

Parker