Starting to regret buying my Denon 1802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_S, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Troy_S

Troy_S Agent

The piece my Denon 1802 replaced was a Kenwood 306 which I bought out of a bargin bin for 150 Cdn. But the Kenwood allowed me to hook up my Soundblaster Live's digital out to it and listen to MP3's right off my PC on my hometheater. The Denon JUST WON'T DO IT.
    I have a cable that runs from the digital out on my PC and splits the signal to a RCA, I plugged one of the RCAs into my Kenwoods COAX input and BOOM it worked, try the same thing with the Denon NOTHING. I've even tried running it from the 'LINE OUT' port and plug it into the 'VCR1', 'VCR2', 'CDR', and 'DVD/VDP' inputs opn the kenwood (using both the L and R RCAs) and STILL nothing.
    I'm pissed that I have to give up 50% of my receiver usage and seriously tempted to go back to the crappy Kenwood 306.
    Can someone PLEASE suggest what the problem may be? Why wont this bloody thing work?
    If you have any ideas I'd be eternally greatful.
    TIA
    [Edited last by Troy_S on September 19, 2001 at 10:07 PM]

2. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Well if the 1802 is like my 3801 then you have to go into the Onscreen setup menu and set your inputs up.
    For example:
    The MD input(on the Denon 1802)(this is where you have the computer plugged into) needs to have the COAX DIG input assigned to it within the setup INPUT ASSIGNMENT menu otherwise that input will not work.
    So in other word the digital inputs (albeit COAX of OPTICAL) have to be assigned to a device source (ie VCR1, VCR2, MD, CD, etc)
    Try it out and see if that fixes your problem.
    Greg
    [Edited last by Greg S on September 19, 2001 at 10:24 PM]

3. Troy_S

Troy_S Agent

Thanks Greg but I tried that one already. Just to be sure I even tried plugging it into a standard input (non-coax) and it STILL won't work.

4. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Well I would guess that Denon like other manufacturers never tested their recievers with the SBLive.
    This is a topic for another forum (hint: HTPC's on AVSforum.com)
    The SBLive is infamous for not working on a variety of receivers because the sp/dif signal output by the Live is non-standard.
    It's fixed at 48kHz and some receivers have problems with that when it expects 44.1 or a non-resampled 44.1 vs what the Live puts out. Buy another soundcard...
    T.

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

if the kenwood has preamp outs, can't you plug it up like you used to with the kenwood, then use the preamp outs and plug into an input in the denon? i'm a newbie, so i'm probably wrong, but i decided i'd throw out an idea anyways. hope this helps, peace [​IMG]

7. Troy_S

Troy_S Agent

Thanks for the advice guys. This is the one place on the internet where I know I can get some knowledgeable responses. Any recomendations as to which soundcard I should pick up to hook into my Denon?
    TIA

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

$129.99 Hercules Game Theater XP.
    Best sound card/breakout box on the market, bar none.

9. Brandon S

Brandon S Auditioning

Well, you can get the Soundblaster live for 35 shipped new, not to be flaim bait but for plain two channel stereo out ITS THE BEST.
    Oh yeah and Im using my sblive output to my denon avr4800 and it worked instantly. My toshiba laptop had a mono headphone to female rca cable meant for video out and I plugged this into the sblive digital out port then used a monster sub interconnect cable to run to the second coax in on my denon and got link instantly.

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"$129.99 Hercules Game Theater XP.
    Best sound card/breakout box on the market, bar none."
    Agreed [​IMG]
    Jeremy

11. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning

I found this thread in the AnandTech forum (computer hardware forum. One of the best that I know). I thought that you might found it interesting.
    They realy like the Hercules GTXP, but they mention others like Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
    Fábio

12. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

13. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Troy, if what u need is a working SPDIF, buy a $10 Aureal SQ2500. I have one and it works fine connected to my Denon 3802.
    On another note, I had a hard time getting my DVD player to output DD/DTS using the coax on the 3802. I had to reset the player to output PCM rather than bitstream. I have another player, an Apex 700A, which was putting out "RAW" thru its coax out. I don't know if it makes any difference for u but maybe u can check the output on ur SB card, if there's an option to choose whatever.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

14. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning