Starting to Look at Flat-panels, seeking advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JerryMa, Aug 3, 2005.

1. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I had been considering upgrading to a flat screen CRT but I'm now leaning toward a flat panel, widescreen LCD TV.

My friend just got a 42" Sharp Aquos and he's pushing me in that direction, but I've read about some reliability problems with the Sharps. Is the Sharp Aquos line all its cracked up to be?

I've seen intriquing models from Panasonic, Philips and LG online as well.

Realizing that this is a very nebulous question, I'm hoping for recommendations on brands to consider and/or stay away from.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I've not heard of any Aquos problems, do you have any details about what might be going with them??? I have a 2 year old 37" and it's perfect and I know probably 20-30 others that have smaller Aquos sets with no issues over 2-3 years.

3. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I'd read customer reviews on a couple of sites. There seemed to be a disproportionate number of people complaining about problems with the sets right out of the box. Either the set just stopped working after days or weeks, or in one case, the remote and on-set controls failed altogether and the only way to turn it on/off was to insert/remove the plug.