What's new

starting to give up on sibilance problem (1 Viewer)

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
Hi

Please forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this thread, nonetheless, kindly hear me..

I recently bought a Denon AVR-1306 receiver together with Procinema 80 system from DefTech which I plan to use in both stereo music listening and movie-watching, equally. I cannnot wait to get home when I purchased this system..I'm so much exicted to the point that I begun to open the box even in the car and begun reading the manual on our way home from the store.

My disappointment started when I set-up the system and started auditioning my favorite CDs just to find out that thsese system is smeared with annoying sybilance. I thought it's was just "break-in" related problem so I gave the speakers a chance. AFter a month of constanct breking in, I did not see any improvement as regards to the "sibilance" problem.

I like to hear music with lots of cymbals (just like Metallica, Cranberries recordings) so I usually set my treble to "high"..well maybe 4 notches down from the maximum. The sibilance is really annoying even if I set the receiver to "direct mode" thereby defeating the tones (bass & treble) circuits. Now, before I throw away this system and replace it with a new one, perhaps you can suggest a way to eliminate or at least lessen the "pssst" just to save me from spending $$..Thanks!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Rick, I know you don't want to hear this comment, but you should have auditioned the equipment with some of your favorite CDs in the store. Of course, it won't sound exactly like it will in your home, but it gives you an idea.

Anyway, two things:
1) What is your source (CD player)? Is that what the Procinema is? Maybe it's lacking.
2) What gauge speaker wire are you using? On my first HT, I switched from a 14-gauge to 10-gauge generic wire and I immediately noticed a smoother, less sibiliant sound.

Good luck,
Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I responded to your previous question about this and I hate to say it, but I really don't like the Pro Cinemas. You need new speakers. What you might try is turning the treble down a notch or two. You can also try putting some felt or foam around the outer edge of the tweeter to soften it a bit.

Jacob C

Second Unit

I'll second that. It is most likely a speaker issue. Rooms can play evil tricks as well so you might try moving the speakers around a bit as well.

KevinRH

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Randal Harrison
I have Klipsch speakers and I didn't like the sibilance that I heard. I switched to a Denon reciever because that is supposed to soften the Klipsch sound a bit, and it did help some ... but the two biggest changes I ever made to my hometheater were monoblocks for the three front channels - definitely a huge improvement over the Denon's internal amps - and acoustic panels that I made myself. Those two things improved the sound of my system by leaps and bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks