Starting to get into HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnVB, Aug 16, 2002.

1. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    As you can see, I'm new here. I'm looking to start getting equipment (A/V receiver, speakers) for a home theater setup.
    We just purchased an Audiotron and decided we can move our current stereo receiver and cd-changer into our bedroom.
    We already have a 55" rear projection TV and a progressive scan DVD player. Our 20x20 living room is prewired for 5.1 sound (well almost but that's another story).
    I'm looking at spending under $3000 for a receiver and speakers. We'll probably use the system equally for music as for movies.
    What sorts of things should I look for?
    I read here that most (all?) A/V receiver's don't do video switching to component video. Does that mean we wouldn't be able to hook up or VCR to the A/V receiver and and the signal go out to the TV via component video?
    I heard that more power is always better.How much power do I need from an A/V receiver for this room in my budget?
    Any recommendations for A/V receivers? A dealer is recommending the Pioneer Elite vsx-41.
    What about speakers? Can we talk about speakers here, or do I need to ask in the speaker area of the forums?
    BTW we think our current 12 yr old setup sounds pretty good. We have a Marantz Legacy series receiver and Epicure 5 bookshelf speakers. I'm hoping that in this process we can get a sound setup that is noticeably better too.
    - bones

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

John, I saw your other thread about sound formats and this one looked a little less of a daunting task. [​IMG]
    As far as a 3000 dollar budget goes, I would get nice speakers and sacrifice a bit on the receiver until you can afford to upgrade it. Off the top of my head the Rockets look like a popular brand and great value. Read more here:
    http://www.rocketloudspeakers.com/buynow_packages.asp
    Then maybe an SVS subwoofer
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm
    and then a nice receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR600, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Yamaha HTR-5560, Kenwood VR-6060, Harmon Kardon AVR225, Denon AVR-1802, or the Sony ES STR-DA1ES. Also, one to keep an eye on but is rapidly losing its edge due to age is the Outlaw 1050. You can learn more about most of these receivers here:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=4&s=0&g=10420

3. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jed,

Thanks for the input. I guess we can talk about speakers here too then ;o).

Let me explain my speaker situation. The back of my living room is open - no wall. So the rear speakers will have to be mounted to or in the ceiling. I have been leaning towards in ceiling speakers, so they're not too obtrusive.

Another concern I have is about "tall" floor standing speakers. We have 2 small children, and I wouldn't want the speakers to fall on them especially if they're heavy. I'm not sure what is the best thing to do about this. perhaps we can move some furniture around so they can get to the speakers very easily.

One of the dealers suggested that Paradigm speakers are a very good value. He said they were getting rid of their Klipsch and Definitive line of speakers in favor of the Paradigm. Paradigm also has in wall and in ceiling speakers available. Are Paradigm good speakers to go with, or should I consider other brands?

If I go with Paradigm, are the studio series speakers that much better than the Monitor series? Would, say, Studio 40's sound that much better than Monitor 9's? What about Studio 60's?

- bones

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Don't buy the VSX-41. It's nothing more than a tweaked 811S. If you want a GREAT cheap receiver, get the 811S (that's what i'm running and love it). If you want a high end receiver, look at the 43TX and on up the line. Don't get the 41 and think it's a high end receiver, because it is EXACTLY the 811S with only minor, and i mean MINOR imporvements (10 more watts per channel, RE-EQ, a tiny LCD on the remote).

I hope to upgrade to the 43TX within the next couple of months. The only reason to go from the 43TX to the 45TX is the addition of automatic calibration, which is pretty kewl, but not worth the extra $150 - $200. Same reasoning in comparing the 47TX and the 49TX.

As for speakers, in your price range i would look at Paradigm, Rocket, and Infinity. The studio 40s would be great, but not a HUGE improvement over the monitor 9s. I think the studio 60s would be overkill unless you plan to move into seperate pre/pros and amps set up soon.

6. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

I created a thread here for continued discussion of speakers for my situation.
    Thanks all, for all the help and advice so far.
    - bones