starting over with wireless lan

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what the title says...i know the basics, but how would i set up a secure network in my house that replicates the current situation? we have a cable modem connected to a router, and that is connected to 3 PCs. we will have 4 (i believe) after the re 'wire'. however, i'd like to have a hardware firewall, we currently have no protection. anyone have any suggestions in the hardware or installation (or any) department? should i buy all the same brand? thanks in advance

CJ

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Assuming all your computers run xp, get something with wpa so you'll be somewhat more secure than wep. Otherwise run wep with a mac address control list. If you're just using wireless from now on, get a wireless router. I would recommend getting all the same brand. I've had good luck with linksys so far in the wireless arena.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    all of them will run xp, i was looking at the linksys stuff last night, seems pretty decent. i'm also thinking about replacing my cable modem, so i dont have to pay adelphia to use theirs. anyone know how much i should save? i'd guess abut $5/month.

CJ

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

best route for security is getting a wireless ap that has MAC filtering, MACs are like fingerprints, each netowrk card is supposed to have a unique one. of course someone can clone a MAC to gain access which is where the next step comes in. but eitherwhichway, it's not an easy thing to go about doing and your average snooper won't know how to get around this and most others wont care as joe-bob down the street will more than likely have a less secure setup.

use a virtual private network to netowrk all of your computers together, this will keep people out that don't belong. Like anything it can be hacked as well, but honestly few people are going to go to the trouble when one of the locals nearby has a completly unproctected machine that will take zero effort to get onto.

set your AP to not broadcast it's ssid, it's quite a bit harder to randomly come accross an AP that doesn't advertise itself.

so there are four things to look at:
    1. 128bit WEP (not secure, but it's a minor deterent that keeps casuals out.
    2. MAC filtering .
    3. virtual private network.
    4. disable ssid broadcasting

now here's a good one to look into as well and that's controller where your signal goes. Use directional antennas when you can; also you can use materials, cardboard works, made into a parabolic shield to block, or at least reduce, signal transmission to one direction, it also will improve your signal in the other direction.

hope that helps some!

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor