Starting over :( help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Ma, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I have recently sold my house to move for a new job. I worked years on my home theater tweaking it and getting it just perfect. A few months before selling I added my first front projector and screen. The room was finally perfect. It was literally like Brewster's Millions, "I could die in here", "Okay, tear it down!"

Here are the pics of the final outcome: http://users.erols.com/rmahle/theate..._pictures1.htm

Now I need to start over. We bought a new home in Virginia. The real-estate market is ridiculous here. Homes sell in hours as they are put on the market. In the beginning I was hoping to find something to work a better theater room but 6 months later I settled on the nicest house I could get for the money (I lost three contracts due to multiple offers). Crazy!

So, now I have a newer, bigger and much nicer home with a single problem.....lack of a dedicated theater room. Below is the floor plan so you can get an idea of the house:

http://www.extendedtools.com/test/house3.jpg
    http://www.extendedtools.com/test/house4.jpg

I am leaning towards the 4th bedroom for it but the room is only 12' across and the side towards the front of the house has the roof line (slanted) and reduces the amount of space on that side. The room is over the garage so you'd think it should be twice as big but it is not due to a cathedral ceiling in the family room downstairs. That ceiling sort of knocks out using my front projector in that room due to ceiling mounting being a pain and an eye sore with that much of a drop....The living room is too small. Hmm, I wonder what it would cost to finish the garage off....but I do not have a basement so there goes any extra storage space.

So, if you were me what would you do? I'd like to integrate it into the family room tastefully, but I have very young kids that would be poking around at things when no one was looking. If I do the 4th bedroom it will need to be a multi-purpose room with my computer desk in the 8' dormer and a futon for seating / guest bed.

2. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

Most of the options that you mentioned seem to have a lot of difficult compromises. With most of them I can't see how you could get your HT to be as good as what you have now. Sharing a HT with other uses will mean the other things will take precedence - if someone wants to use the computer, etc. This takes away the "escape factor" where you get to go and relax in your HT any time you want. If I were you I'd aim at doing the garage. A garage is expensive storage space. I see a garage as a secure place to put your car, the fact that it has some storage space is a bonus.

Instead of having a HT room that doesn't really do what you want, I'd be thinking about how to get storage in other ways. You could add a carport (much cheaper than a garage although the security and weather protection is not so good). You could look at optimising your storage:

- throw out what you don't really need
    - organise things you have to store into "long term storage" & "easy access storage"
    - then find ways to accomodate what you need to store, add a cheap shed if you need to for bikes, mower, garden things etc - a shed is very cheap storage, a garage is not

The garage also has some other advantages:
    - concrete floor and masonry walls with no windows (assumption) .. this is a good start for a HT with good noise reduction (door needs work and is a challenge)
    - furthest possible distance to other rooms that could be disturbed

regards,

Paul Spencer

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

You are right Paul and the garage definitely has enough size where I could frame out and sheet rock a better theater room than I had.

The only negatives are any costs I put into finishing the space are pretty much unrecoverable when I resell the home being that it is garage space and loosing a garage reduces the homes value.

If I go that direction I will have to come up with an estimate on what it would cost me for all the materials and see if it's worth it. ultimately, this would satisfy my theater needs the best but I am looking forward to having a garage for the first time in my life...

I am starting to consider selling off my old RPTV and tower speakers. Then getting some sort of higher end book-shelve speakers that I could hang away from poking fingers and do the family room. My wife has decided the living room is going to be the kids play room and will have a TV for them and toys. So then I could put a nice new HDTV in the family room for regular TV, my pull down projector screen for movie nights and some sort of hanging speakers. I would then need to look into some sort coffee table that could house the projector. I saw this somewhere once and it looked fine. The main hangup with this is satisfying the wife with the looks. It can't be a gaudy man's electronics room.

Anyone have thoughts on some good hangable speakers?

4. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit