What's new

starting over...again (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Consider in-wall or in-ceiling speakers?

There are a few small subs that have good output(Velodyne), but they're expensive...

Check out Mirage speakers, Paradigm Atom, Definitive tech

If all else fails, buy a good set of headphones. My pair have kept the peace more than once:D

Chris Brock

Second Unit

I think what some of the others were trying to say is IB subwoofers are considered the tightest, most accurate and most musical subwoofers you will find in a home setting. If you think your CV's soudned tight and accurate an IB sub with will cause your jaw to hit the floor, no boom with these what so ever. Simply start with 2 of these...........

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-455&DID=7

and get this amp to drive them................

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-794

That will put you around 300 - 400 total and you would be lucky to find a better sounding sub ....anywhere at any price. And the best part is that since everything is built into the wall no one will ever even know cause there is nothing to see at all!

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
"Consider in-wall or in-ceiling speakers" - Im not a carpenter or an electrician. and I dont really want to bust open walls the first week I buy this house :) wall mounted surrounds seem to be the only answer. same with an IB, I cant see myself going that far yet for my sub. Ill have to hear someones before I go that far.

"So.... are you really looking for a surround sound system? or just a 2-channel stereo so that the wifey can listen to her Hootie CD's?" - if you read carefully, I want to get surround sound in my house. and if you read more carefully, you would know she is my girlfriend and not my wife. and if you would read, you would know that I want a good sounding system IN my house that performs as well as my yamaha/cerwin vega system that HAD to be put in the garage for 'asthetic reasons'.

"If all else fails, buy a good set of headphones. My pair have kept the peace more than once"....um...hmmm

I dont think you all are getting the point.
1: both she AND I want THX in my house. I am more of a music person, she is the movie person.
2: I like the old sound of my yammie/CV setup but its ugly so it cant stay. She doesnt frequent the garage much so now it is my garage stereo. sometimes I work on my car and build stuff in my garage so I need a garage stereo.
3: I want to be able to enjoy the music when it is played in my house, but if its coming thru a crap system that just 'looks good' I really have a problem with that, so will my ears.
4: you all seem to think, or keep suggesting that I distance myself from my girlfriend, ie wear headphones, get a 2-channel stereo so that the wifey can listen to her Hootie CD's... simple facts a) I love my girlfriend b) I like getting laid c) she likes to cuddle. if I put headphones on, I wont have a GF to do the above things with. or if I 'got her a system so she could listen to her music while I listened to my music in the garage'.
that is not my goal. maybe its cause im not married, but I like my girlfriend.
5: my budget is flexible, shes agreed to help with the speakers if she can get more of the look she wants. but to me, that means a lower sonic quality. thats why I came here, to get suggestions. I would like to spend little, since Im spending a shitload on this house. but I do want a nice sytem that I wont have to upgrade every few years.

So, to end this rant:

please help me find a unit like the rotel rsdx-02 but is 7.1 or THX whatever. an all in one unit that is easy for her to use. it has to be powerfull enough to crank up reall loud when shes not there [i dont always want to go to the garage to listen to loud music, besides, its MY home].
AND please help me find good front speakers made for music, that are nice looking and nice looking surrounds. [I dont mind the gallo a'divas as surrounds, cause I wont be going the multichannel music route].

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I would do.

Buy a 5.1 speaker package that includes a Sub. I would suggest the Axiom Epic Master System for $1,297.00 The mains are book shelf speakers but I will address this later.The rears are wall mountable so they are out of the way and don't clutter the room. They come in 6 different colors so your "Girlfriend" can choose the color she likes!

Buy a $500-$600 7.1 AV Receiver. My suggestion would be the Denon AVR1905 ($499)or AVR2105($649.00)Both these receivers are 7 Channel. You will only need 5 (For Now)

That will cost you about $1800.00 plus tax. A little over your budget but you said you were flexible.

Now this is the good part. You SAVE MORE MONEY. And when you have some extra cash you Buy a pair of Floor Standing Front speakers from Axiom. Like the M50Ti or M60Ti $600 to $800. You can buy them in the same color as your current speakers and they should be timber matched (Or close to it, check with Axiom to be sure)
You now use your existing front speakers for the center rears, Put your new floor standers up front.

And there you have it,,,, A great 7.1 HT with large fronts for listening to music and in a color your GF likes.

It might take you a little longer than you hoped, but don't feel bad it took me 5 years!!!

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
"It might take you a little longer than you hoped, but don't feel bad it took me 5 years!!! "

yeah, no, id want this to be complete for thanksgiving. maybe not the IB sub [very highly recomneded] but the actual living room all setup so we can entertain .

her look or style is modern danish modular blah blah. not that I dont care what she does to my house, but she really gets into her job. she did like the idea of bookshelf fronts. simple and not too obtrusive. I just want to snap my fingers :)

so now shes googling every darn speaker company looking for her look. weve even agreed to rework the budget to accomodate the HT. its hard .

DanJV

Grip
Take a look on line at Ascend Acoustics, too. They also have nice packages coupled with H/K gear and the highly regarded HSU subwoofers. You should be able to get a package deal from them.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If she lives in your house and is already moving your stuff into the garage... I assure you that wife is the more accurate label :frowning:

I will second the Axiom Epic Master system idea. Only I'd pair it with a powerful muti-channel amp, and a decent pre-amp. Check-out Outlaw's website, or brush up on some models and take your credit-card to Ebay, where used stuff is always on sale. Yeah, you'll go over budget now.... but you wont need to upgrade next year. (Notice I said need, not want :D )

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Have you checked out Mordaunt-Short (the venerable English speaker manufacturer)? They have a good reputation and are quite nice looking. Danish modern is all about clean lines and light woods. These might just fit the bill in aesthetics and sound.

Mordaunt-Short

They are distributed in the U.S. by Marantz.
Dealer Locator

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
"If she lives in your house and is already moving your stuff into the garage... I assure you that wife is the more accurate label :frowning:"

Garrett, I dont understand WHY that would be a BAD thing.
but I am looking at seperates. I would like to hide as much equipment as possible. thats why I want an all-in-one unit. Rotel makes one and Sherwood makes one, but they are only 5.1 and low powered [under 100 watts]. and now I (we) have decided to get a 200+ DVD changer . Ive looked into learning remotes and IR repeaters so we really dont need any euqipment showing except the speakers. She really likes that idea.
Pamela, the Morant Short "Genie" speakers they just came out with look like they sound much better that the gallo adivs, as Morant short is highly regarded as a good speaker manufacturer.

James Phung

Second Unit
if you're still interested in floorstanders, you can get the infinity alpha 50s (used to retail for $1000/pair) on clearance from many retailers such as Circuit City.

You can also get the alpha 50s and primus 150 bookshelves from crutchfield for $600 total.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second the Mordaunt Short set. Not sure about the sub, but their speakers are quite excellent. The veneers are not so nice, but fit and finish are first rate and they sound great. I use a pair of 902s in my bedroom system. Very clean and musical.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
those morant chorts "genies" will definately be the surrounds. way more distinctive than the gallos and still very sleek and simple. now for the front three.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Sam,

I think you're already doing the wisest thing possible: You're involving her in the decision making. Compromise is essential, and that means on your part and hers as well. Take it from a 27-year marriage veteran, when either side digs in its heels, you're in deep shit.

As for the equipment, take a closer look at the Axiom site. You can get a myriad of custom finishes beyond the six standard ones. It might be worth it to her to pay for the exact finish she wants.

The tower speakers have a bit more bass extension than the bookshelf units, and don't need stands. You could forego the subwoofer for Thanksgiving and add it later, when she's gotten used to the look of the speakers and isn't feeling as "precious" about the design of the room as she does when it's all brand new.

Just some suggestions.

Jan

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Jan

I really hope I didnt make my GF out to be some kind of bitch or that I suggested that this living room design thing is causing much strife between us. I know where she is coming from and Ive seen her design sketches. what sucks is paying for it. I love her, and there isnt a thing that will change that. as far as the living room design, I agree with her, that is why I promissed she could design it. I just didnt want her to throw Bose in my house. and she didnt want to see speakers at all, hence wanting bose. her idea of a good sound system for music is a real concert. she doesnt listen to music much at home. just a different way of doing things, I need music. why am I telling you all of this? I wonder how many marriages are open and honest like our relationship. after reading your alls posts, it doesnt seem like many.

as far as Axiom's we both agree that they are very undesireable to both of us. changing the color of them is not gonna help one bit :) so Im not even looking there, I think we will end up with B&W cm's up front. small bookshelf ones.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
so ive started a thread called Sherborn pt-7000. its a 7.1 preamp, the cheapest I could find. wanted to know the good/bad of it and what type of amps I need. I got no help from ppl when I asked about denon receivers, so I said, fine, lets see if ppl who have seperates are nicer :) but i havent gotten any response. please help me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks