Starting new HT>>>>need help..

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by brac, Aug 27, 2005.

1. brac

brac Agent

May 14, 2005
    I am starting to design/build my first HT so I will have lots of questions.

My HT is going in a new basement. I have read alot of things about flooring but many talk of products I have never heard of. At present I have concrete walls and floor. Any suggestions. (would like carpet unless that is a bad thing) but do I need to put anything under it?

Walls I plan to use 2x4's and insulate all around..

I will have a staircase in the room and will make an equip. rack with access under the stairs, But being that I live in Maine we have no central A/C how can I keep my equip cool? Also how bad are the stairs for accoustics?

Will be buying a 4805 but want to wire for it now. What sort of connections/cables do I need?

Also my mechanical room is behind the HT so unless I change the plan I will have one door on each side wall. should I make this the front or rear of the room? Or should I change the layout so I only have a single door? (I am concerned as this will mean I have an odd shape room, I would need to cut off a corner of the room... insted of a 90` corner I would have 45` corners 3 feet in.
  2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dec 2, 2004
    Welcome to the world of HT. I built my HT in the Basement as you are planning. I am no expert, but maybe I can answer some questions.

On the concrete floor I first put down a layer of plastic that went up the walls about 1'. I have a new house and the basement is dry, but you never know what the future will bring. Next I used 2x2 pressure treated boards for the "joists" then glued & screwed plywood to them. I have read here that there are other flooring materials than plywood. Then I built the walls out of 2x4s, insulated them and then sheet-rock. There is sheet-rock made for basements. I would definitely carpet. I believe the wood floor will help with your bass & carpet will help with the acoustics.

My old theater was ruined by a house flood and I am currently re-doing it. (2 weeks away from completion) In my new theater, I also put my equipment under the stairs. I think it is a good use of space. I have watched movies already and heat has not been an issue. The coolness of the basement and the open air has been OK for the equipment.

I also am using a 4805. Whatever projector you use, run all the wires you can to it! (RCA, component, composite, s-video) It is much easier to do it during construction than after the sheet-rock is up. Also be sure to run a dedicated switched outlet for your projector. The 4805 does not power down all the way when turned off.

I don't think the doors effect the sound inside the room as much as they let sound out to the rest of the house. If you put 45` corners in the room, it will add personality and help with acoustics. Anything that breaks up parallel walls will help.

There is a good thread here called Things I wish I would have done differently that is very helpful in learning from others mistakes.

Keep us posted on your progress [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    Moving this thread to HT Construction area.
  4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    I’ll second Dave’s recommendations.

A wood floor is mostly about tactile sensation than anything else. If that’s something you’re after, go for it. Either way, wall-to-wall carpet is the floor covering you want. One of the major requirements for good acoustics is to minimize vast expanses of hard surfaces, and carpeting will go far in that direction.

You might also consider carpet or some kind of soft cover for at least half of the total sheetrock surfacing. Some recommend the upper-half of the wall, some the lower half. I think I’d prefer it to be right down the center (i.e., a quarter-wall untreated above and below). Or perhaps do it one way for the side walls, and another way for the back wall.

Stairs won’t hurt acoustics. Actually, anything that “breaks up” vast expanses of sheetrock is usually a good thing.

What’s the objective for the insulation? If it’s for soundproofing, don’t expect much.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt