Starting my DIY Shiva, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Feb 3, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have decided to start a DIY Shiva. I had a JBL PSWD112 but the amp broke. What is the sound/preformance difference between a sealed and ported Shiva.

The reason I as it because, I am taking this in steps. I ordered a PE 250 watt plate amp and a Shiva driver. But for now I do not have the resources/time to build a box right now as I am at college. So I am thinking of using the JBL box which measures: 17.5" x 17.5" x 19.1"

The PE am will not fit in the cutout of the JBL amp (the jbl is tall and narrow and the PE is more square). So I'll have to make a new back pannel for the amp. I am thinking of just making it sealed becasue the box measurements are very close to the sealed 54L box from Adire's website. (the JBL box is actually a bit larger)

Do you think that will sound fine until I can build a new box sometime over spring break (in a month)?

Thanks for any help.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    There isn't a huge difference between sealed and ported (assuming proper design and construction). If the internal measurements of your JBL box equal 54L then it should work fine. Less internal volume will result in more 'punch' and less extension. More internal volume will give you greater extension (but sacrificing some SPL at higher frequencies). Polyfill can be added to increase apparent enclosure volume... Enjoy the project!

3. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the internal is about 63 liters. Anyways it should be fine until I build a new box.