What's new

Starting from zero, what to buy? where and what to locate? (1 Viewer)

omar_g

Auditioning
Hallo, I want to start to build my own home theater, I was looking for the bose acousticmass but as far i read they don`t deserve the money :D,

the room is about 10m x 4m

i need advice on:

1. what to buy
2. where locate the speakers

regards!

omar_g

Auditioning
i have to check the size of the room, is not 10m x 4m, is about 3.7m x 5.5m, but the location is the same, any suggestions?

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Omar,
In a resounding chant from the crowd "Stay away from Bose." :)

Bose is definately bad news. There's much better to be had for the same money.

If you were interested in Bose for the small speakers, do a search for "Bose" on the forum and you'll turn up dozens of suggestions (as well as rants about why Bose is bad) for alternatives to Bose that have similar size speakers.

If you were interested in Bose because of the name then you probably don't have any set requirements for type of speaker (floor standing, bookshelf, sattelite). The first thing to do is to work out just what your budget is.

After that, I would decide on speakers before anything else. Speakers will have a much more profound control over the sound of your system than anything else you buy.

The general rule of thumb is to spend somewhere around 60% percent of your budget on speakers. With budget constraints figured out, find all the audio dealers within driving distance of you. Spend an aweful lot of time listening and deciding what speakers sound the best to you.

Once you've settled on speakers, you'll have to shop around for a receiver, dvd player and any other components you may want or need. But I'll leave them to their proper forums.

This should be enough to get you on your way. Don't feel rushed in picking speakers. They'll likely be with you a long time and it's important that you get what sounds best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks