What's new

Starting from scratch (1 Viewer)

DarrinG

Grip
I just moved into my new place and I want to put a home theatre room in the basement.

Now I am not acoustics expert but I have to basically build the room cause all it has is studding in it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Darrin

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
First, buy stock in home depot.
Second, tell your friends you wont be able to see them for two weeks as you have lots of research to do.
Third, spend as much time as you can reading all the posts in the construction section. And don't skimp, you will learn a lot about what to do, and more importantly what not to do here.
Fourth, make a game plan. A large end-of-the-line idea of what you want your room to be. Questions to ask, and aswer, and by all means write down so you can remeber: DO I want a dedicated room or multipurpose? Do I have light control? DO I want tiered seating? Do I want front or rear projection and how big of a screen? Do I want 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1? Do I want some sort of remote controlled lighting? Do I want sconce lighting, can lighting, rope lighting?
Fifth, after you have thought enough about what you want and done enough research that you feel comfortable starting your project...'cause believe me, you aint learned nothing yet 'till you try to do it yourself, You can go to home depot to purchase such various tomes as "Sheetrock 101 and You", "Electrical Contractor? Who Needs One? Maybe you".(tongue in cheek, these are not real books) Do you want to do it yourself or hire a lot of it out?

Now that you have a game plan for room setup, equiptment, placement of equiptment, lighting effects, electrical requirements, speaker wiring needs, you can begin construction following your game plan, or hire someone to do some of the work.

Basically your next few weeks need to be planning and researching.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Monster open-ended question. How big is the room? What flexibility do you have in setting dimensions? Are you going front or rear projection? Any ideas re: equipment or where it will be located?

From a broad perspective I would suggest you avoid dimensions that are multiples of each other. If possible try to double wall or at a minimum double drywall to keep sound transmission down. For wiring and electrical don't run them side by side. Try to space at least a stud apart, and when they must cross do so at 90 degrees. If you're going front projection map out your room and determine where you'll sit. Plan for audio sweet spot first, then based on your seating position and viewing distance you determine the screen size for optimal viewing angle. Tonnes of stuff to consider so the more information you can provide the better chance there will be to provide recommendations.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks