Starting from Scratch..Need Advice

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott R Thomas, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Scott R Thomas

Scott R Thomas Auditioning

Hello

This is my first post here and I want to first thank everyone for posting on this website and making it the great resource that it is.

I am building a home theater/entertainment room and need some advice. First let me give you a general idea of the layout.

I have an unfished basement and will be finishing a room down there for a home theater/ entertainment room. The room is 17' wide X 28'long.

1) Is this size room too big for a theater room? I could potentially move the back wall in and make the room about 23' ft deep but I was thinking about eventually putting in a pool tabel at the rear of the room. However I don't want the room size to affect the quality of the the home theater experience. If it doesn't matter that the room is that deep then Id rather have the bigger room. I will list my components here if that makes a difference on how big the room is:

AV Reciever- Denon 3805
    Front Loudspeakers- Axiom M60ti
    Subwoofer: Axiom EP500
    Surrounds: Axiom qs8

NEXT QUESTION

2) What kind of soundproofing would I need to do? The room is situated pretty good as far as sound potentially bugging other people in the house. Three walls are concrete foundation so I won't have to worry about sound transfering to adjoing rooms since there are no ajoining rooms. The only wall I need to worry about is the back wall which is ajoining to a future bedroom. The theater is situated above the kitchen (all bedrooms are at the opposite end of the house)However, I want to be able to watch movies at refrence volume without disturbing people trying to sleep in the bedrooms or who are upstairs watching tv in the great room (kitchen is part of the great room).

Would double drywall on the cieling and a staggered rear wall with double drywall and insulation be sufficent to block out most of the sound? I don't need a totally sound proof room, just enough as to not bother other people. I'm spending way to much money to have family members bugging me to turn the sound down so I want to do it right but I am on a tight budget so I don't want to go overboard with this. I've read for hours on the forum and it seems like there are a lot of differnt things you can do but I'm just not sure what is best for my particular situation (since 3 walls of the theater are not ajoined to anything) Any advice here would be helpfull. What is the most cost effective solution?

NEXT RANDOM QUESTION [​IMG]

I am also building an AV closet and I have no idea if I will still be able to control the components since they will all be located in a closet. Do I need to leave a window for the remote or will it be able to penetrate the walls?

Sorry for such random questions. I'm still in design mode and my brain is all over the place.

Thanks

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I'll leave the other questions for the more knowledgable, but I will say you are on the right track.

For this:

If you wish to enclose the closet and not use glass doors, you must have an IR repeater. This is a small receiver mounted outside the closet that takes the IR (infra-red) signal of your remote and repeats it to each IR receiver eye on your components inside the closet. 99% of components have IR remotes, which are line of sight. If they had radio remotes, they could penetrate walls, but alas they do not.

Here's one from Tweeter (can't vouch for the quality, but someone here can suggest a good one):
    Niles MSU250 IR Repeater System for Single Zone Applications

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Scott,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your kind words.

To address another question than Jeff did, about the room size: that's a marvellous space for a Home Theater. If you really need some extra room, it would indeed be possible to place a wall and still not lose too much for a good HT.

But if you don't need that separate room, leave it as is. It certainly won't hurt your sound quality to have a pool table in the back. You may need a powerful sub, but in a room that size it will be even less problematic to make it sound awesome.

If possible, try to avoid parallel reflecting (sound reflecting that is) surfaces. If necessary (and possible), use cloth-like materials to dampen the wall-reflections. Thick carpet on the floor.
    That will also help to avoid "standing waves" (the so-called "room-modes").

Those "other people" are family? No neighbours or far relatives occupying the same house? And it's yours?

Then, if yes to all these questions [​IMG], I'd say double drywalls will be enough. They may still hear something, but in a good family atmosphere that could always be sorted out. The wall to the possible bedroom at the back should indeed be treated more heavily. If there's any chance that a person might be trying to sleep (or work) there during film hours, that is.

That wall also is the first candidate for cloth-like materials (a curtain would be really great), because the longest dimension in your room is the 28' length.

Cees

4. Scott R Thomas

Hi Cees

Yes I own the house and it would be my own family members. I just don't want to disturb my wife when trying to sleep. She is a nurse and has to get up pretty early. I on the other hand work for myself and work from home so I'm a night owl. Luckily our master bedroom is upstairs on the other end of the house from the theater so I'm hoping much sound wouldn't be able to get up there.

What does everyone think?

Thanks Jeff for the tip on the IR repeater. I'll have to get one of those.

Scott

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

To quote my own post:

Unfortunantly, carpet or cloth won't help much with standing waves. You need _very_ thick material do stop a standing wave, due to the low frequency. If you can avoid parallel walls though, you will be much better off.

6. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

I think your room size is ideal. Mine is 13'6" x 32' and works quite well, although your additional width will allow better seating options and wider aisles.

Sound issues: I have a living space above my theater but with double stuffed insulation in the ceiling and acoustical ceiling tile, very little sound is heard from above except an occasional rumble from explosions etc.

If your entrance to theater is via the rear, then again, double stuff insulation in rear wall and use a solid wood door with exterior rubber gasket.

Good luck,

David

7. Scott R Thomas

Hi David

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of post I was looking for...someone in the same situation as myself.

So you didn't do any double drywall on the ceiling? Did you do 5/8 or 1/2 drywall?

Did you use the pink panther type insulation and just stuff as much of it up there as you could?

Also how much is acoustical ceiling tile and where can you get the stuff?

Thanks to Chris as well for his input. I think a good mix will be the best solution for me.

Thanks

Scott