Starting from scratch in Seoul

Tuan Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonas Streich
I''m a big dvd fan but a technical newbie so I thought I'd ask for some info here -- not as much technical info always available at dvdtalk.

Just got to Seoul, it looks like I'll be here for a year, possibly longer. I checked out the PX today and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on these two items:

The HCT AV420 42" HDTV -- can't find any reviews for this model online (can't even find a website for the company although I'm not sure why). I had a standard analog flat screen tv by them when I was in Iraq (I just got to Korea) that worked really well. This one is $1599 in AAFES (tax-free) -- only one component though it also has HDMI (something I'm unfamiliar with). The picture does look really good.

The Hitachi HTD-K210 home theater in a box -- $180 (possibly an additional $15 off but probably a dead deal by the time I'm ready to buy). Very nice sound and the included dvd player is also region-hackable (although I already shipped my Phillips). I can't find any info on this one online either. Again, it sounds good but I've never actually picked up any HT equipment before. All these dvds and I've been watching them on regular tvs with no audio equipment all this time ;p

Any information or opinions would be great. As I mentioned these are just the ones I looked at today at the PX (they have a number more in stock, but a lot of the 42" all seem to be around that pricepoint) -- haven't tried checking the local markets yet -- not sure if I could really find a better bargain for the quality but if anyone has opinions on reputable places in Seoul, I'd appreciate it.

I've never shopped for any real equipment before. I'm willing to spend more money at this point to get a good setup from scratch, plus the gov't will ship anything I get back to the US. All these dvds and I've been watching them on regular tvs with no audio equipment all this time ;p

I already shipped my Phillips 727 ahead of me but at this point it'll probably be redundant given the number of region-free options here.

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have never heard of HCT before, but If you have used their products before they you should have a gut feel. I think your options may be limited because anything would be cost prohibitive to ship from the US. HDMI is a digital input that will eventually be replacing component. Just about any new name brand DVD player on the market will have an HDMI jack on the back. It can carry both video and audio.

Tuan Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonas Streich
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and picked up the Hitachi 42HDS69 based on the reviews that I could find (now I'm working on getting the color patch from tech support -- although it looks great right now).

Setting up my speakers is giving me a few questions though:

I just read one setup article on 5.1 systems and it recommended using an analog watch to set up the speakers at different hands of the watch (30 degrees off 1200 and 0600). It also said that speakers near the TV need to be magnetically shielded. Is this still a problem with a LCD/Plasma HDTV like the one I bought? In a room as small as mine, is it alright to place the center channel immediately in front of the tv on the same dresser (it's flatter than the bottom of the screen) with the front side speakers at the edges of the dresser in front of the original (but presumably unused with this hookup) tv speakers?

My main problem with this is figuring out a way and means to set up my rear speakers -- I don't have any stands and technically the bed gets in the way of one of them going with the direction/distance setup.

Originally I was thinking about getting a square or round piece of plywood at the self-help place on post, quartering it and then placing each quarter in a corner of my room -- as my tv is centered about 18-24" in front of one wall, and then sticking the center channel in front of it again with the subwoofer on the floor nearby (but they would be about 7' up because the door opens into one corner and there's no space below the frame). Would that provide decent sound at all or would it be inaccurate? For reference, I suppose my total room size is between 10' x '15 and 15'x20' but that's a fairly rough estimate. Also I have large windows on the left wall and rear wall (when facing tv). The basic stereo and simulated surround is actually pretty good (compared to my experience with previous tvs), but I'd love to have the full effect.

Any tips are appreciated.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I'm a little late in posting in this thread but I have the HTD-K210. It's great for the price. I didn't ship any of my HT gear when I moved to Germany and picked up the Hitachi at the PX for about $139 I think.

Tuan Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonas Streich
Can anyone give me a critique on my ideas above -- I still haven't put it up like that -- I'd rather not have to change it around afterwards.

Or does anyone have a link or page with other setup information and tips for 5.1 systems?

thanks.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzanareview