Starting From Scratch - A little Info Please

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris_Krama, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Chris_Krama

Chris_Krama Auditioning

Let me start by saying Thank God I found a please that can help me, I Hope.
    Ok, here is the situation I am in.

I Have added an addition onto my house its 90 x 18.
    Its going to be 2 rooms (kids play room and my Home Theater room)

1) What is a good size room for my home theater its going to be 18 x ?
    I only want 2 rows of 5 seats and my recliner and the electronics.

2) I am hoping you all can help with my electronics (Prices Include shipping and tax)

Projector = Infocus SP5000 $1499.00
    Receiver = Sony STR-DE897B $272.91
    DVD Changer = Sony DVP-CX985V (400) $314.15
    Speakers = Sony SA-VE367T 7.1 (8) $206.47
    Misc = Speaker wires and cables $200.00
    Total $2492.53

The room is not divided yet so I can go 18 x what ever a good size would be. There is no windows in the back for about 27’ (so 27 x 18 is as big as I can go)
    The Speakers I have chosen are not that great but will do for now.

3) The walls are just studs, should I put something up besides drywall or some kind of sound proofing to make better sound. Like to do the right thing now since I have the studs in my sights.

2. Michael Whitney

Michael Whitney Stunt Coordinator

For the size of the room you are looking at acoustic ratio's of Finished Ceiling height times 1.60 for a width figure and a length of Finished Ceiling height times 2.33 for the depth. Unless you have incredibly high ceilings, this seems like it will will not be optimal ratio wise. EX 8' ceiling = ~13 wide = ~18 FT Deep

One thing to think about is you mentioned you can see the studs, so possibly double walls, could reduce the width and bring ratios into more balance. Unfortunately, that would require changing the seating arrangement of 5 seats in a row. Ratios also effect your two rows of seats.

You may want to review the other theatres on the site, its a link on the area to get into this forum area. That will give other ideas. Unfortunately, I am in the theory only mode, as my HT has not been started yet.

Hopefully this info is helpful. There is a lot of great information and some really great theatres to peruse on this site.

3. Chris_Krama

Chris_Krama Auditioning

Thanks for the reply, my ceiling height is 10 ½ feet to the studs. It doesn’t have drywall yet. I was thinking about a drop down ceiling or should I leave it that tall. The taller the better?

4. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

Leave your ceiling as high as possible. Remember, if you are having 2 rows, the second row will be at least 8" higher than the first row. I have three rows in my theater with a 10' high ceiling but that height is only in the front of the theater. My entrance height is slightly higher than 7'. Look at my gallery pictures in the link below. I put in a "tin-look" Armstrong acoustic ceiling on furring strips attached directly on the ceiling joists. My theater is 13'3" X 32' including a 8'4" bar area behind my third row.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

David

5. Chris_Krama

Chris_Krama Auditioning

David,

If my Home theater comes out 1/2 as nice as yours i will be a happy man. Thanks for the info.